VOGONS

First post, by James_Richards

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is odd, and I may be looking int he wrong direction or just getting more and more confused as I try to figure this out... and it is late.
I have recently gotten back into gaming on DOSBox and have once again dug out some of my games and started getting them installed and playable.
I have the Aces Complete Collector's Edition CD (sadly, everything else got lost, except the manual) and I installed Aces of the Pacific.
I set it to use Roland/MT32 and have 4 other games using it without issue.
I run the bat file that is installed and after the Dynamics and game intro play, DOSBox crashes.
I look at the bat file and I see:

@echo off 
C:
cd \DOSGAMES\AOTP
gcd -nC:\DOSGAMES\AOTP
C:

Everything seem OK. I run the GCD.COM file directly and again it crashes. I pull out of full screen and watch the title go from GCD to PS. There is a PS.EXE in the AOTP directory. I run it and it complains about not enough memory.
There is nothing else that the autoexec section calls at the moment as I install a game, play for 10 or 15 minutes to verify it works, then go to the next.
I installed DOSBox-x as I played with that before and I like some of the features it has and I thought I would try running with that. Outside of MOUNTing the folder with my installs, still not doing anything else, I replicate the same issue. PS.EXE complains of not enough memory.
Through troubleshooting and starting to get tired, I managed to turn of MT32 and have Sound Blaster handling thew music and it runs without issue.
I will be getting some sleep soon as it is time for that, and will play with the [dos] settings in DOSBox to see if maybe something there needs to change for this game. I am just stumped as this is the only game out of 15 that I have installed to give me any troubles.
Does anyone have an idea what could be happening here? Outside of a mostly clean conf file, I haven't changed much. Just the [MIDI] section and {Autoexec] for the "drive" mounting.

For the infos: ( I can provide more in about 8 hours if needed)
CPU Intel i5-6600
MEM 16 GB RAM
GFX RX 580 8GB
OS Arch Linux 64bit (Zen kernel) 5.16.10 (yeah, I switched to main kernel 5.16.10.arch1.1 and still get the same problem)
DOSBox 0.74-3 / DOSBox-X 0.83.22
MUNT mt32emu_qt 1.8.0
MUNT Library v 2.5.3
Qt Library 5.15.2
MT32 ROMs... not sure which version these are. I remember downloading them two years ago and I believe are the LAPC-1 versions.

...this could be fun...

Reply 1 of 3, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the game and it runs just fine in DOSBox-X (SDL1 or SDL2) on Fedora Linux 35.

I also tried it with DOSBox SVN, and apart from the missing MT32 sounds, it started just fine.

I don't have any special settings either in my dosbox config file.

Reply 2 of 3, by James_Richards

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, not exactly sure what I did. I generated a new and clean conf for both DOSBox and DOSBox-x.
I made only a few changes to both. Too many to list.
DOSBox works just fine now. DOSBox-x is still having issues. I think I'll sit on this one till either 0.75 comes out or some more changes get DOSBox-x to a more reasonable state for mid to late 90's games. I just liked DOSBox-x for the features and granular control, which I found out I don't really use. Even the Win3x games are working just fine in DOSBox AND weird audio issues in various games have ceased.
I'll leave this here, unsolved for a time; someone may pop in with an answer or two.

...this could be fun...

Reply 3 of 3, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't use the full dosbox or dosbox-x config file. Way to many options to dig through.

Instead I use a minimal per-game config, with ONLY the options that I changed from default. That makes it easier to see what you changed.