VOGONS

PC1512 graphics

Topic actions

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I bring you a strange case. Not a PCjr or Tandy compatible, but a game that only shows 16 colors in Amstrad PC1512 mode.

zmXmNr9.png

8u3Gaep.png

It's a French game called "Les Ripoux".

As for the PC1512, it was a CGA PC compatible sold by Amstrad in Europe, where it became quite popular. Hardware-wise, its main interest is an exclusive 640×200 16 color mode that only a bunch of French games use. It may have been added to showcase GEM, its choice for a desktop manager.

Regular DOSBox builds don't support this PC1512 graphic mode, but if you feel curious you can check it out with PCem or DOSBox-X (where it uses the machine=amstrad option).

Last edited by Neville on 2022-03-16, 14:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 30, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your looking for other games that only supports 16 colours on Amstrad, there is a bad and obscure boxing game called "Frank Bruno's Boxing". If you don't have the Amstrad graphics you will only get black-and-white CGA.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/frank-brunos-boxing

There is also a Sierra PC1512.DRV for SCI0 and SCI1 games, but since these games also support Tandy with better sound there is no point running them in Amstrad mode.
http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/MiscUpdates.html

Reply 3 of 30, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are various titles that claim Amstrad PC1512 support, but all it seems to mean is that the game will run, not that it will use the Amstrad graphics mode.

For instance, there are three "Bob Marone" games by Infographics that claim PC1512 support:

- Bob Morane: Chevalerie 1 (offers CGA, Amstrad and Hercules)
- Bob Morane: Jungle 1 (offers CGA, EGA, Amstrad and Hercules)
- Bob Morane: Science Fiction 1 (offers Amstrad, Tandy and "other")

But when you launch the games, and select the Amstrad PC1512 option, all you get is CGA (tested on DOSBox-X with machine=amstrad).

The titles offering EGA, Tandy and "other" also all just run in CGA mode when selected with an appropriate machine type.

tatou_000.png
Filename
tatou_000.png
File size
2.99 KiB
Views
File comment
Bob Morane: Chevalerie 1
File license
Public domain
tatou_000.png
Filename
tatou_000.png
File size
3.1 KiB
Views
File comment
Bob Morane: Jungle 1
File license
Public domain
tatou_000.png
Filename
tatou_000.png
File size
2.88 KiB
Views
File comment
Bob Morane: Science Fiction 1
File license
Public domain

Reply 6 of 30, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I came across this back in the 90s, can't remember the game. Was just another thing that back in the day I tried to bring up on a bulletin board and got yelled down by "experts" who said it was impossible. CGA IS 4 COLORS!!! Fairly sure it was a game that came in a "small big box" (Those half thickness, 3/4 size ones used for budget) and had that blue tab that had PC/XT/PCJr/PC1512/Tandy listed as compatible. I remember reading somewhere back then that it was PCJr "sorta compatible" in that it used similar methods to some PCJr modes but didn't work with most Jr specific games. (Like there was kind of a standard at some point but all the games were written for PCJr bare metal rather than using the standard calls or something.)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 30, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, so let's try to build a list of games supporting this, together with notes 😉 Only tested games, please.

So far we've got:

Games:

Bob Morane: Chevalerie 1 --> Just CGA graphics
Bob Morane: Jungle 1 --> Just CGA graphics
Bob Morane: Science Fiction 1 --> Just CGA graphics
Feud --> Same graphics as EGA / Tandy
Frank Bruno's Boxing --> Best mode available, see pics at MobyGames
Iznogoud --> Just CGA graphics
Manoir de Mortevielle, Le --> Best mode available, beware of poorly cracked versions
Maupiti Island --> Tried it long ago, was told graphics were the same as in EGA mode
Ripoux, Les --> Best mode available
Top Gun --> Shows glitches

Applications:

CompuShow (CSHOW) Graphics Viewer
Deluxe Paint II
GEM desktop environment

Last edited by Neville on 2022-03-23, 20:58. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 8 of 30, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Non-games

- GEM desktop environment
- Deluxe Paint II
- CompuShow (CSHOW) Graphics Viewer

For Games, you can add "Feud", the Amstrad mode looks the same as the EGA and Tandy modes.

autoexec_001.png
Filename
autoexec_001.png
File size
2.06 KiB
Views
File comment
Feud video mode selection
File license
Public domain
autoexec_002.png
Filename
autoexec_002.png
File size
5.45 KiB
Views
File comment
Feud Amstrad mode
File license
Public domain

Reply 10 of 30, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maupiti Island indeed has an Amstrad mode and it looks like the games EGA mode. Except that there is a "box" around the mouse cursor in Amstrad mode and not in EGA mode.

Also, the Amstrad / EGA modes look better then the Tandy mode in this case. The Tandy mode appears to use a lower resolution, making things like rendered text difficult to read.

maupan_000.png
Filename
maupan_000.png
File size
2.21 KiB
Views
File comment
Video selection
File license
Public domain
maupan_001.png
Filename
maupan_001.png
File size
14.63 KiB
Views
File comment
Game screen in Amstrad mode
File license
Public domain
maupan_000.png
Filename
maupan_000.png
File size
14.59 KiB
Views
File comment
Game screen in EGA mode
File license
Public domain
maupan_002.png
Filename
maupan_002.png
File size
10.56 KiB
Views
File comment
Game screen in Tandy mode
File license
Public domain

Reply 12 of 30, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Iznogoud is another game that advertised PC1512 support, but like the Bob Morane games only seems to display CGA.

tatou_000.png
Filename
tatou_000.png
File size
2.92 KiB
Views
File comment
Video selection
File license
Public domain
izn1fcga_000.png
Filename
izn1fcga_000.png
File size
8.34 KiB
Views
File comment
Game in Amstrad mode
File license
Public domain

Reply 13 of 30, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah you can make MobyGames produce a list, guess these all need confirming though..
https://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/att … offset,0/so,0a/

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 14 of 30, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That list seems very unaccurate to me. Just this afternoon I tried both "Lemmings" and "Oh no! More Lemmings", and none of both had an Amstrad option. The thing is, I'm almost sure the versions I played in the 90's did have this option. Guess I'll have to dig more.

EDIT: I think I see where the confusion about the "Lemmings" games started. Some of the Holiday / Christmas games offer an option for the Amstrad PC1640. But it's not for the graphics, but to set up the CPU speed.

kcmJ1ug.png

The games that strike me as more likely to have a PC1512 mode are the ones made in France. The Amstrad CPC was big there, and apparently also the PC1512.

Reply 15 of 30, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah the executables or files required for older graphics tended to get stripped on later budget and "gold" compilation releases. One game I always wanted to play on old portables turned up and I grabbed it excitedly only to find it was vga only in that version and hercules and CGA missing.

Reply 18 of 30, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Neville wrote on 2022-03-16, 17:23:

The games that strike me as more likely to have a PC1512 mode are the ones made in France. The Amstrad CPC was big there, and apparently also the PC1512.

The PC1512 and PC1640 were also popular in the big neighbor country on the right,
but sadly it not really had any decent game studios at the time. 🙁

Edit: Maupiti Island works in 640x200 (PC1512) in PCem.
Unfortunately, the scan lines (stripes) aren't visible in the recording.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jj9LJ5VDsLc

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 30, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But wait a minute, turns out Mortville Manor does support the PC1512 mode... just not the version I tested yesterday.

PlMfI2C.png

MRFBOZg.png

The correct version seems to be the freely one available at lankhor.net, to be exact the French version 1.