VOGONS

First post, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use to play this using an original Adlib card and I can't get Adlib sound to work in Dosbox (I have it set up correctly and Adlib works in every other game I use). Can't find any command line switches for the exe etc.

I viewed the main game exe, Monday.exe in a Hex Editor and it shows Adlib as an option just to check my sanity. Someone mentions it on an old Usenet post as well and a fix but that reply is deleted. Any ideas how to get Adlib sound in this game using dosbox. (Using version 1_3, the 256 color VGA version).

Reply 1 of 4, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps the game requires that you load "sound.com" first (or Creative's sb-sound.com "equivalent").
See Sound Driver Pack

Or perhaps there is more then 1 version of the game, with and without sound support. Or you need a patch to add sound support.

Although, according to https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/abc-monday … otball/techinfo the game only has PC Speaker support.

Reply 2 of 4, by DeathAdderSF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Out of pure curiousity I checked it myself. Here's my findings:

By default, game uses PC Speaker.
Loading SOUND.COM before starting the game made no difference.
The game's built-in configuration menu only has two options for sound: PC Speaker, or no sound. No Ad Lib option.

*shrugs*

Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Reply 3 of 4, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DeathAdderSF wrote on 2022-03-20, 00:20:
Out of pure curiousity I checked it myself. Here's my findings: […]
Show full quote

The game's built-in configuration menu only has two options for sound: PC Speaker, or no sound. No Ad Lib option.

*shrugs*

I think there is a detection problem with the sound, it might be speed related but I couldn't get it working on a 386DX33(slowest real hardware i have). The game setup should list:
PC Internal Speaker
Tandy Extended Sounds
Covox's Sound Master
Covox's Speech Thing
Adlib Sound Card
Turn-OFF All sound/fx

Reply 4 of 4, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Riikcakirds wrote on 2022-03-20, 14:11:
I think there is a detection problem with the sound, it might be speed related but I couldn't get it working on a 386DX33(slowes […]
Show full quote
DeathAdderSF wrote on 2022-03-20, 00:20:
Out of pure curiousity I checked it myself. Here's my findings: […]
Show full quote

*shrugs*

I think there is a detection problem with the sound, it might be speed related but I couldn't get it working on a 386DX33(slowest real hardware i have). The game setup should list:
PC Internal Speaker
Tandy Extended Sounds
Covox's Sound Master
Covox's Speech Thing
Adlib Sound Card
Turn-OFF All sound/fx

Perhaps, as I mentioned before, there is more than one version of the game.