VOGONS

First post, by Damien Moore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use DOSbox v0.74-2 as distributed with version 10 of the Debian operating system to run the Dr Halo III painting program dated 1988 which I received free inside the box containing a Genius serial mouse bought in 1990. Sadly the mouse long since failed but with the setup as described Dr Halo works very well on screen so far. I wonder if it will be possible to print. I suppose in a naive way I might express this by saying that I need to connect lpt1 in DOSbox to parport0 in Debian Linux or some such setup, possibly a network port. The DOSemu program which I use successfully to communicate with an ancient Psion computer provides a relatively simple way of doing this via the configuration file, but DOSemu is not capable of running Dr Halo III! Is there something which could be added to the configuration file? I do not see it my /home/dcl/.dosbox/dosbox.conf file (which has not been edited since installation). I have a variety of printers and interfaces available all HP-PCL compatible and I suppose the most straightforward might be the Centronics parallel port, USB would be easier to implement and my network laser printer would be ideal. Thank you for your efforts.

Reply 1 of 2, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might need a different build of DOSbox, stock is *very* game focused to the exclusion of utilitarian features. Maybe some hints for you here Trying to print from Lotus123 in Dosbox to a USB printer

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 2, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-17, 17:33:

You might need a different build of DOSbox, stock is *very* game focused to the exclusion of utilitarian features. Maybe some hints for you here Trying to print from Lotus123 in Dosbox to a USB printer

HAL is a really old unmaintained fork. most if not all of its functionality has been incorporated by the DOSBox-X fork.