VOGONS

First post, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ran into a problem when I imaged and tried to install these 2 games.

It seems the packaged installer for Future Magic uses wildcard patterns that DOSBox doesn't suport. One work around is to install with a DOS 6.22 (or equivelent) boot, then copy the files over. But I found it easier (for future installs,) just to re-write (didn't take much work,) the 2 guilty bath files. They accomplish the same thing, but now are a little more streamlined, and don't use the illegal wildcard patterns 😀 Just unpack and insert them into the Disk-1 image.

Hard Nova installes just fine, but the startup batch file, again, uses illegal wildcards. Didn't do much streamlining this time, but I did remove the illegal wildcards. Just replace the batch file in your install directory after you've installed the game.

Filename
FM-BATCH.7z
File size
1.75 KiB
Downloads
50 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
HN-BATCH.7z
File size
912 Bytes
Downloads
49 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Feeding Dragon

Reply 1 of 1, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Renaming with wildcards, including that done with COPY commands, can be problematic. FYI, you can load an alternate shell, such as COMMAND.COM from MS-DOS or 4DOS, to get more full-featured commands, and can still use local drive mounts. SVN has fixes that help COMMAND.COM from MS-DOS to work better, if you want to use that shell. If you try to load the shell from MS-DOS 6.22 you will first need to do a "VER SET 6 22" command to change the reported version of DOS or the shell won't load.