VOGONS

Tips for getting X-Com: Apocalypse working

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 48, by Wh1sper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just installed the fresh dosbox 0.72 and installed xcom3 (apocalypse) through dosbox at my Asus G1 under XP
It works out of the box . Do not forget to start the setup.exe in order to configure the sound. You can click straight ahead everything was correct by default.
I have placed the dosbox.conf at my blog. the description there is German only. Sorry
https://zockertown.de/s9y/archives/681-dosbox … Apocalypse.html
the config is here :
zockertown.de/s9y/index.php?serendipity ... =2&file=32
do not forget to edit the paths at the bottom of the config.
And please verify that the cdrom drive letter in xcom3.cfg is the same as in your dosbox.conf 😀

Last edited by Wh1sper on 2008-01-05, 09:29. Edited 1 time in total.

For Linux Nerds: (mostly German only)
http://zockertown.de/s9y/

Reply 22 of 48, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's my 2 cents. Using version 0.72 out of the box I found it ran playably but very slow. Using a non-dynamic core caused it to crash quickly. But when I changed the memsize from 16 to 256 it became quite fast indeed. I haven't fooled around with the cycles since it works fine.

Reply 28 of 48, by Wh1sper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sligthly modified Links, because of Software updates.
No https is required anymore.
http://zockertown.de/s9y/index.php?/archives/ … Apocalypse.html

zockertown.de/s9y/index.php?serendipity ... =2&file=32

For Linux Nerds: (mostly German only)
http://zockertown.de/s9y/

Reply 29 of 48, by skodmunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I have been trying to get this game working, but with only some succes:
Dosbox 0.70 and 0.72 will install and run the game, but the sound is flickering/static and couses crash in certain screen menues; savemenu , basebuild menu etc...
I have read this post and others where people surgest changes to the dosbox.conf. But I have tried changing basicly everything in it, still the same result.

The game works perfectly without sound, but it is not the same...

I see others have had the same problem, if anyone have found an solution I would be happy to hear what to do 😀

Reply 31 of 48, by skodmunk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

machine=vga <-- is the only mode that can run the game at all
memsize=64 <-- this one can go between 8 and 64, changes nothing
frameskip=0 <--- setting this more than 5 makes the game lags, does not affect crash
core=normal <--- normal or dynamic has no effect
cycles=max <---- anything below 5000 slows down the game too much, sound seems best between 10000-18000, but it still crashes
rate=22050 <-- ive tried 11025, but just made the sound horrible, still crashed
blocksize=300 <---- actualy funny ive found out it sounds best at around 300, ive seen others say 4096 or more, 20k+ makes sound very wierd, all makes it crash
prebuffer=12 <--- ive tried betweem 0-20000 seems to have no effect what so ever

sbtype=sb16 <--- this option ive tried alot with, tried making it pro1 and 2, also making sure to pick the right sound card in the SETUP. Out of all the options ive found the sound is best with SB 16 and also SB 16 from setup, but still crashes.

xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
all of the xms ems umb supprised me alot, I disabled them all, and had no effect on the game or the crash

I realy dont know what to do, it seems to run very well without sound, but with sound it just crashes...

Reply 32 of 48, by Trepach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally I ran the game, but I don't have sound and was hard to understand the dosbox.conf file thing. My dosbox.conf [autoexec] area looks like:
mount c g:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -freesize 1024
mount d d:\ -freesize 1024
d:
cd games\xcoma.
My Apocalypse CD image is in the G:\, the installed game - in D:\
I've installed the game via DosBox and "auto detect" is not working, but when I've installed the game via XP "auto detect" was working. In this case I suggest using an audio card emulator. I've tried with VDMSound, but I can't fallow the instructions, posted in this forum 🙁 When I tried to configure something, using VDMSound, just crashed.
Thanks a lot for helping me. Without you I was unable to get so far! 🤣
PS: I like yellow.

Last edited by Trepach on 2008-02-28, 20:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33 of 48, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Always use MOUNT C for your harddrive, and MOUNT D for your CD-ROM (image).

mount C d:\ -freesize 1024
mount D g:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0
C:

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 35 of 48, by everling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I did to get X-Com Apocalypse installed and running.

Environment:
Athlon X2 3800+
2 GB RAM
Windows 2000
DosBox 0.72

First copy the CD to the harddisk and install from it. This step is to deal with the infinitely slow CD speed check.

mount c: C:\games -freesize 512
mount d: C:\temp -t cdrom
d:
install

You should be able to setup sound after the installer has copied the game to harddisk. After that, change the D: mount to one of the following two:

IMGMOUNT d: [Your ISO image] -t iso
or
mount d: [Your CD-ROM drive] -t cdrom

Since I used the default installation values:

C:
CD XCOMA
XCOMAPOC

Enjoy.

No additional stuff or patches required. But I have noticed that http://www.xcomufo.com/x3faq.html says there are two maps missing, which was indeed missing from my installation. Don't know if it'll actually do anything.

I did not have to alter anything else to play at this time. In fact, I don't have the time to really play at this time, other than to confirm the sounds is good, the ability to save and load, modify the base setup and hire some personnel; so I don't know if I'll be modifying anything later. Below is some of my current dosbox.conf values.

memsize=16
core=auto
cycles=10000
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1

I hope this helps someone.

Reply 36 of 48, by Llewen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tips. X-COM Apocalypse runs basically out of the box for me on DOSBox 0.72. To get it to install I used the following options in my dosbox.conf.

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

mount C "E:\DOS" -freesize 1024

mount D "G:\" -t cdrom -usecd 0 -noioctl

To get it to run smoothly, I used the following options in my XCOMA.conf (as per suggestions in this thread):

memsize=64

blocksize=4096
prebuffer=12

Reply 37 of 48, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Anything above memsize=63 is truncated to 63.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions