VOGONS

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm soon going to be comparing the arcade and PC port of Super Zaxxon. The commonly available dump of the IBM PC game seems to be locked into Composite CGA only. My questions are:

1. What's the best DOSbox version to run the game? The main one shows graphic breakup if using Composite CGA. It's a bit better on DOSBox Staging, but still a little flickery on part of the display.

2. If you run it in CGA (standard RGB) the image is broken into 3 parts in DOSbox, and you can still see it reporting "Composite" in the menu. You can get different looking output with Hercules and PCjr, but none are true CGA. This site shows the standard CGA version on PC, but is it possible to get the commonly available dump of the game to run like that? https://www.pixelatedarcade.com/games/super-z … xon/screenshots

Thanks!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If the "commonly available dump" you refer to is the one from Retrograde Station, its RGB variant is broken (probably due to bad or missing sectors), and because of this the game's option menu has been hacked to prevent switching between Composite and RGB (you can see the option to switch but can't select it).

Reply 2 of 3, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder where the pixel perfect images of the CGA RGB version I linked above came from then 😒

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 3, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Turns out it's a different dump, which I'll aim to cover! Apparently Congo Bongo also has an undumped CGA Composite version too.