VOGONS

Fade to Black

Topic actions

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I just tried playing Fade to Black on a recent CVS version of DOSBox and it didn't go so well:

- First I tried to run using Gravis Ultrasound for sound and music and the game froze when I tried to start it. I also noticed that the sound test seemed to be outputting sounds in the center regardless of whether I tested left or right.

- I then tried SB16 and SBPro in the sound setup and noticed the sounds were reversed, but at least the game ran.

- Unfortunately the movies didn't play (even the Delphine logo) but it may be that I have a bad version. I do know that all the movie files are there and the total size of the disc is about 634MB.

- 320x200, 320x240, and 640x400 modes all work, although the latter was unplayably slow.

- Tried running in the XP NTVDM (without VDMSound). Wouldn't allow anything but SB (not even Pro or 16, so I couldn't test for reversed sound bug). Adlib music didn't work so I chose General MIDI. Movies still didn't play (dammit!). Some of the arrow keys on the number pad were non-responsive, and the game was choppy sometimes.

I was really hoping to see the movies in DOSBox. I borrowed this game from a friend back in the day, but it was before I had a VLB card in my 486DX4-120 (the game used too much video bandwidth for smooth movie playback on ISA video cards)

I have the PSX version laying around somewhere, but I'm lazy :p Plus, the PC version can run in hi-res (not that it's fast enough I guess).

Anyways, I mostly wanted to report the Ultrasound crashing and reversed SB16/SBPro sounds in case they are DOSBox issues.

Reply 1 of 15, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The movies won't work in 0.63 either. Neither for me or another guy who made a Fade to Black thread in here some months ago.

Had no problems with sound, though. Not that I remember anyway. Maybe I should give it a new go sometime.

Reply 2 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It may be that the movies are dependent on some sort of advanced MSCDEX or CD-ROM hardware features that are not currently emulated by DOSBox or the NTVDM *shrug*

Reply 3 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After years of searching I found someone on ebay that sold it (ebay Belgium) after I could play the ripped version well. I only then found out that the CD version didn't play any movies either because DOSBOX didn't support it or something. Very dissapointing.

Movie support is still one of the weak points of DOSBOX - a lot of movies with bad performance, that make DOSBOX crash or simply, as is the case here, don't play.

Reply 7 of 15, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gulikoza wrote:

You could try applying Moe's 16-bit patch. I know tomb rider uses a 16-bit video mode to play movies. They don't work on plain cvs, but do work with the patch...

Good suggestion 😀 I just tried it, but unfortunally, it didn't do anything for me 🙁

Oh, and I have the same sound problem. left/right is switched. It would be nice if DOSBox had a "swap channels" option in the conf file 😀

Reply 8 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: the latest CVS still doesn't let me play the movies, although I don't have to mess around with settings anymore. Just installing and running it works well - but without movies, you miss out on the entire story 😖

Reply 9 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update - tested on recent CVS:
- SB16/SBPro sounds are still backwards in INSTALL
- GUS sounds are still mono in INSTALL
- Intro movie now plays! It says that the CD-ROM (mounted real CD-ROM via 'mount d r:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 0') is single-speed and refuses to play sound in the movies. However, I remember that you can put -2 on the command line (i.e. 'F2B -2') to override this detection - which works in DOSBox!
- Still slow in 640x400 VESA, although it could be due to my SDL causing lost surfaces in ddraw mode (I need to hack it to use hw surfaces again - they've done some major updates in the SDL 1.2 CVS and had to revert the hack)

Exciting! I am humbled by this new development which has resulted from much dedication and hard work by talented people.

Reply 12 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh yeah, you fixed the BRA cursor right 😜 Oh, and the game runs fine now - a little bit of noise in the movies (sound) but excellent otherwise. It even runs well in SVGA full screen at 75000 cycles (30fps average).

Reply 14 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried this last night with 0.73 but was in a hurry. SB sound is still reversed in the installer test. I also got the single-speed CDROM warning the first time, but not the second. I got the movies but I think I messed up the sound by accidentally hitting the Play button on the front of my laptop, which caused Windows Media Player to try to play audio tracks from the CD or something while the intro cutscene was running.

I don't remember - is there a reverse stereo option in dosbox.conf? I know that ripsaw8080 was working on a patch or something for 0.72: Invert Left/Right Audio Channels Stereo Sound?