VOGONS

Questions about installing Windows95 in DosBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by videogamer555

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I did this in the way I've read other people say worked for them. I extracted all of the contents of the CD to the folder DosBox is using for the C drive. I made sure to set the emulated DOS version to 7.10 (Windows 95 expects the version to be over 7.00) and then ran Setup.exe with the command line switches /id /im /is which skips disk and memory checks, as well as skipping the running of Scandisk. Problem is, it immediately gave me an error saying I don't have enough disk space, as soon as I started setup. After that, I experimented with the emulated DOS version number. I found if I set it back to 7.00 the setup would at least run. So I did that, and went through the install wizard. It got to the very last step of the installation, where the progress bar was at 99%, and then an error message box popped up, saying "unexpected error". I don't know what went wrong.

Can somebody here tell me what I may have done wrong? I'd like to get this to work, if possible.

Reply 4 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-15, 02:10:
leileilol wrote on 2023-03-14, 22:18:

you don't

Is it just me or do people have the wrong idea about DOSBox and what it was designed to be used for?

Well there isn't an obvious pinned post in the dosbox areas stating otherwise, answers like "you don't" although correct they don't really explain much to someone who doesn't know already, threads like this exist. So why not try it? I don't think people expect it to work flawlessly, they just play with it.