VOGONS

How to run BAO Tower?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by cesss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First I tried installing the same SBPRO drivers which I'm using in my main DOSBox hard disk (ie: where I have all my games and DOS/Win3.1 apps). This didn't work. Then I thought that maybe in your post that has the attached drivers, you meant that what needs to be done is just replace the autoexec.bat and config.sys to what @hail-to-the-ryzen said, and then drop your attached files in WINDOWS/SYSTEM. But this didn't work either. Finally, today I found another Tower version which a youtuber says to be working fine on XP. I copied it into a XP VM, and then copied the wing32 dll to windows/system32 and the game seems to be working fine (not 100% sure yet until I play for a while, though). I also enabled the 256-color compatibility mode, because I recall that Tower preferred 256 color mode.

Reply 21 of 25, by buttertweet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another consideration on the Dosbox route - not sure how compatible SB 2.0 (CT1350) is with SB Pro (CT1330) or Pro 2 (CT1600). You might need to install whatever drivers are in the SB Pro install's "WINDRV" directory if there is one, rather than the 2.0 ones posted above. (If you're not seeing the sound card even within DOS, you might not have the Pro DOS drivers installed correctly either, or you need to set sbtype in the Dosbox conf to sbpro1 or sbpro2 - keeping in mind the latter is different from "2.0" which is sb2.)

Even then, I don't know what will happen. I am currently trying to get 2.0 to work and haven't quite gotten there. Via W31's Control Panel/Drivers I installed SBFM and SB20SND as posted above (with all other drivers removed except the 4 standard ones) and set the sbtype to sb2, but I am only able to get MIDI, no WAV. When I try to play a WAV file in Sound Recorder, it claims a sound driver is not installed. (The 2.0 MIDI is exciting though - it plays CANYON.MID in exactly the way I remember, very different from SB16)

rfnagel, can I ask if you had to add any additional lines to WIN.BAT, SYSTEM.INI, etc? And is this in standard Dosbox 0.74-3, or a different build? Any additional tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by buttertweet on 2023-07-24, 13:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 25, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't add anything to the SYSTEM.INI file. I'm using the standard release of DOSBox, no special builds.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 23 of 25, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe this will help you all:

This is my bootable disk image of MS-DOS v6.22; along with Windows 3.1, Win32s, Wing, Sound Blaster drivers, and Tower installed; as well as the DOSBox.conf file that I use.

REMOVED

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-07-23, 23:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 25 of 25, by buttertweet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I gave up. There must be something in my current W31 install that doesn't like the SB20SND driver. I ended up just extracting the W31 directory from your image using Disk Explorer (mentioned in the Dosbox wiki) and using that as my new W31 directory. Both midi/wav work like a charm now. Thanks!!