VOGONS

First post, by ouchmouth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an original Fallout CD and I'm trying to install it on Win2000 through DOSBox (it won't work at all while trying to install on Windows). However it tells me there's not enough drive space, which is not true at all. Anyone know what's up? I saw another post with this issue, but it was for the newer version of the game and on WinXP...and didn't apply to my problem. Thanks to anyone who helps!

Reply 1 of 16, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox' virtual hard drive always has something like 100MB free by default, regardless of the actual amount of free space on your real harddrive.

When mounting, add a "freesize" parameter. Something like

mount c c:\ -freesize 700

would mount C:\ as DOSBox' drive C:, with 700MB of free space.

Of course, this information could've been found in the readme file, if you had bothered to actually read it!

Reply 2 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ouchmouth wrote:

I have an original Fallout CD and I'm trying to install it on Win2000 through DOSBox (it won't work at all while trying to install on Windows). However it tells me there's not enough drive space, which is not true at all. Anyone know what's up? I saw another post with this issue, but it was for the newer version of the game and on WinXP...and didn't apply to my problem. Thanks to anyone who helps!

Fallout has both MS-DOS and Windows executables. But for Windows, you need to set "Windows 95 compatibility mode" for the SETUP executable.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strange, I don't think my roommate had any problems installing it on WinXP SP2 recently. Make sure to install the latest patch if you get the game to install - the Fallout games are notoriously buggy (especially without the patches).

Reply 4 of 16, by ouchmouth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, well increasing the freesize seemed to work, thanks. It's installing right now. Oh, and I went back over the readme, and yes it lists "freesize" as a command, but I didn't see anywhere that said dosbox has a preset virtual sizelimit. So not knowing that, that command didn't make much sense to me. I always think it's funny how computer savvy people just don't understand how the rest of us "just don't get it." Anyhow, thanks. I hope it runs.

If not, though, how do I go about changing the compatibility to Win95 to try running it through Windows? I tried right clicking on the setup, file, but couldn't see anything to help me...and when I double-click it tells me it can't run with this version of Windows.

Reply 5 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm don;t you need to create a shortcut to the setup.exe file and you can set the compatibility mode on that ine

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right-click the setup program's icon, choose Properties. Click on the Compatability tab. Check the "Run this program in compatability mode for:" box and make sure the drop-down is set to Windows 95. Then hit OK. Then run the setup program from that same icon and you should be able to install directly in Windows (assuming information from my fellow forum-goers is correct).

Trust me, you want to install the Windows version of this game rather than running it inside of DOSBox (unless you really want advanced filtering effects or to run in a window or something).

I agree that the freesize option in DOSBox is under-documented. This has come up several times recently.

Reply 7 of 16, by ouchmouth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, that's the problem. Under properties I only have two tabs...general and version...neither of which say anything about compatibility. Is that an feature only on WinXP and/or ME? Maybe 2000 doesn't let you do that? I'll keep tinkering and let you know if I find anything...

Oh, and yes, it was running mighty slow under DosBox.

Thanks for the replies! Let me know if you think of anything else.

Reply 8 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh, do a

Go to Start/Run
Run: Regsvr32 C:\Windows\apppatch\slayerui.dll

Now create a shortcut to your program.
Right-click on Shortcut, go to properties, Go to Compatibility tab.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 16, by ouchmouth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I still get to be a nuisense, yipee! Anyway, tried that but everytime I type that command into the Run window I get an error message which reads:

LoadLibrary("C:\Windows\apppatch\slayerui.dll" failed - The specific module could not be found.

I typed it in exactly as shown below....any ideas?

Reply 11 of 16, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win2K has that feature, unless you're not running a recent service pack. Maybe it will re-enable it if you get the Application Compatibility Toolkit? http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ … ty/default.mspx

Reply 14 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you saying you haven't played Fallout yet? 😳

YOU ARE GOING TO HELL! 😁

Enjoy!

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 16 of 16, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trust me, you want to install the Windows version of this game rather than running it inside of DOSBox

True, but it's pretty awesome that DB runs Fallout... it has to be one of the very last big DOS games released. Compatibility is getting really good it seems.