VOGONS

CD Switch Not Recognised In-Game (Game is the original C&C)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by RobertX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After finishing the first NOD level using the GDI disc, I was asked by the program to insert the NOD disc to continue.

I did but C&C did not recognise the disc change.

I tried to enter CTRL+F4, but no response. Adding to this, I also tried to type Pause or CTRL+F10 as was advised by other people.

I have the last DOSBox stable and the operating system is Linux Mint 21.1.

Have a good day.

Reply 1 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not an answer for your question, but... did you know that C&C can be played without discs (I mean, without using any crack)?

To do so, you need to copy the files from your CD to a folder, and use the -cd swith, like this:
c&c -cdc:\juegos\c&c\cd (where c:\juegos\c&c\cd is where i put my CD files).

Note that MOVIES.MIX and GENERAL.MIX are different in GDI and NOD discs... so you will need two folders.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 10, by RobertX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote on 2023-06-12, 14:59:
Not an answer for your question, but... did you know that C&C can be played without discs (I mean, without using any crack)? […]
Show full quote

Not an answer for your question, but... did you know that C&C can be played without discs (I mean, without using any crack)?

To do so, you need to copy the files from your CD to a folder, and use the -cd swith, like this:
c&c -cdc:\juegos\c&c\cd (where c:\juegos\c&c\cd is where i put my CD files).

Note that MOVIES.MIX and GENERAL.MIX are different in GDI and NOD discs... so you will need two folders.

Very good!

How do I arrange the folders?

c:\juegos\c&c\gd1 for GDI
c:\juegos\c&c\nod for NOD?

Reply 4 of 10, by RobertX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, just found one solution:

1. Save the end of the first NOD mission.
2. Exit and mount the NOD CD.
3. Re-enter C&C and play the second mission.

I guess the subsequent C&C versions mitigated the experience by better disc-replacing support. Good for them!

Reply 5 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I "mixed" the folders to save some space. There are four of them:

c:\juegos\c&c is the "installation" folder. It contains this files:

c&c.com
c&c.exe
c&c.pif
conquer.ini
game.new
gdi.bat
hmidet.386
hmidrv.386
insticon.exe
local.mix
nod.bat
notes.ico
read_me.exe
read_me.txt
read_me.wri
runc&c.exe
setup.exe
speech.mix
transit.mix
_setup.exe
_setup.pif

c:\juegos\c&c\cd is the "CD" folder... it contains:

aud.mix
conquer.mix
desert.mix
scores.mix
setup.mix
sounds.mix
temperat.mix
winter.mix
zounds.mix

c:\juegos\c&c\gdi and c:\juegos\c&c\nod contains the files that are different for each CD, that are:

general.mix
movies.mix

gdi.bat and nod.dat are the "launchers" for both versions. gdi.bat contains:

@echo off
echo Lanzando Command & Conquer - GDI
copy GDI\MOVIES.MIX CD\MOVIES.MIX
copy GDI\GENERAL.MIX CD\GENERAL.MIX
c&c -cdc:\juegos\c&c\cd\
del CD\MOVIES.MIX
del CD\GENERAL.MIX

So it copies the files that are different from the GDI folder to the CD folder, and then launch the game using that folder as CD. After playing, it deletes those files to free some space.

Keep in mind that:
- This installation was made with DOSBox in mind, so usually there are no problems in keeping the files if something goes wrong. In a real computer, that 500Mb used could be a concern (in that case, you should use your suggestion, copy both CDs on their own folders and launch the game using that folder).
- Although this would enable you to play the game without CD, note that playing some missions with one faction and trying to play a mission from another faction would not have the desired results. I haven't tried it... maybe you won't be able to do so, maybe it will work but won't play the expected movie...
- I once readed about someone that "repacked" both movies.mix and generals.mix so the game would find every mission and movie without switching CDs... it would be a better solution (playing without CDs and with everything available).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nyerguds, who is legendary in the C&C community it the one that repacked the mix files mentioned above and can be found here
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/fullcnc/media

He created a post on how to correctly setup nocd
start here and read down
Re: (Almost solved) Trying to run Command & Conquer without CD

Reply 7 of 10, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This bug occurs with the original game on original hardware as well. The game fails to recognize CD swaps properly on some configurations. In certain cases it doesn't allow you past the CD swap dialog, or sometimes it accepts it but can't play any movies from it onwards. You will have to exit the game and rerun it.

I am going to guess-blame this on the CD drivers, as I never faced such issues back in the old days. Today I use UDVD2 driver for my slot-feeding DVD drive on the Pentium MMX. If I go back to something more standard (e.g. OAK driver) perhaps it would fix this issue?

Reply 8 of 10, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wbahnassi wrote on 2023-06-15, 10:18:

I am going to guess-blame this on the CD drivers, as I never faced such issues back in the old days. Today I use UDVD2 driver for my slot-feeding DVD drive on the Pentium MMX. If I go back to something more standard (e.g. OAK driver) perhaps it would fix this issue?

DOSBox doesn't use any hardware drivers, it emulates the MSCDEX interface (which sits on top of them and gives programs a standard way to access CD functions).
If it happens on real hardware as well, that's a pretty strong indication it's just a buggy game.

Reply 9 of 10, by torafuma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote on 2023-06-13, 16:20:
I "mixed" the folders to save some space. There are four of them: […]
Show full quote

I "mixed" the folders to save some space. There are four of them:

c:\juegos\c&c is the "installation" folder. It contains this files:

c&c.com
c&c.exe
c&c.pif
conquer.ini
game.new
gdi.bat
hmidet.386
hmidrv.386
insticon.exe
local.mix
nod.bat
notes.ico
read_me.exe
read_me.txt
read_me.wri
runc&c.exe
setup.exe
speech.mix
transit.mix
_setup.exe
_setup.pif

c:\juegos\c&c\cd is the "CD" folder... it contains:

aud.mix
conquer.mix
desert.mix
scores.mix
setup.mix
sounds.mix
temperat.mix
winter.mix
zounds.mix

c:\juegos\c&c\gdi and c:\juegos\c&c\nod contains the files that are different for each CD, that are:

general.mix
movies.mix

gdi.bat and nod.dat are the "launchers" for both versions. gdi.bat contains:

@echo off
echo Lanzando Command & Conquer - GDI
copy GDI\MOVIES.MIX CD\MOVIES.MIX
copy GDI\GENERAL.MIX CD\GENERAL.MIX
c&c -cdc:\juegos\c&c\cd\
del CD\MOVIES.MIX
del CD\GENERAL.MIX

So it copies the files that are different from the GDI folder to the CD folder, and then launch the game using that folder as CD. After playing, it deletes those files to free some space.

Keep in mind that:
- This installation was made with DOSBox in mind, so usually there are no problems in keeping the files if something goes wrong. In a real computer, that 500Mb used could be a concern (in that case, you should use your suggestion, copy both CDs on their own folders and launch the game using that folder).
- Although this would enable you to play the game without CD, note that playing some missions with one faction and trying to play a mission from another faction would not have the desired results. I haven't tried it... maybe you won't be able to do so, maybe it will work but won't play the expected movie...
- I once readed about someone that "repacked" both movies.mix and generals.mix so the game would find every mission and movie without switching CDs... it would be a better solution (playing without CDs and with everything available).

This worked for me on Windows 98 SE!