VOGONS

First post, by drSolomon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Installed Chess System Tal within DOSBox and all looks fine...Except for some incorrect CPU benchmarks displayed by the Help—>About—>Performance feature. I know this is a DOSBox bug peculiarity, since the correct numbers are shown when Chess System Tal is running inside a virtual machine. The problem is, aside from being wrong, the malformed data is used in the computers' ratings calculations, suggesting the problem symptom might be more than cosmetic. The host (physical) CPU is an Intel i3 @ 2.30 GHz, and this problem occurs soon after setting cpu cycles > 5000 in the DOSBOx config .
Here is a screen shot of CSTal's Performance window under DOSBox 0.74-3:

cstal_performance_screen.png
Filename
cstal_performance_screen.png
File size
86.07 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

My custom config file for the game (Note: I've tried all CPU core options with the same result):

Filename
chesstal.conf
File size
245 Bytes
Downloads
51 downloads
File license
Public domain

So is there some kind of config line that needs fixing or is this a potential bug the DOSBox code?

Last edited by drSolomon on 2023-07-11, 14:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by drSolomon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-07-10, 21:51:

The Magician of Riga never goes undetected, even when his name is code

Even the great Tal likely wouldn't have sacrificed that much CPU power. 😀

While it runs fine in a virtual machine, CSTal (like many DOS games) appears immune to the effects of TSRs such as POWER and DOSIDLE. That causes significant heating of the physical processor and attendant high levels of fan anxiety.

Reply 4 of 8, by drSolomon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2023-07-11, 12:19:

Not sure what "bug" you're referring to here. DOSBox is an emulator, the CPU it implements will have much lower performance than your real one.

That begs a question: Is the processor always being emulated by DOSBox, irrespective of the setting?
I assumed including cycles=max would've enabled some kind of CPU passthrough mechanism.

Reply 5 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
drSolomon wrote on 2023-07-11, 14:38:
jmarsh wrote on 2023-07-11, 12:19:

Not sure what "bug" you're referring to here. DOSBox is an emulator, the CPU it implements will have much lower performance than your real one.

That begs a question: Is the processor always being emulated by DOSBox, irrespective of the setting?
I assumed including cycles=max would've enabled some kind of CPU passthrough mechanism.

Yes, it's not a VM but an emulator. Dosbox always presents an emulated, non-existent CPU.

Reply 6 of 8, by drSolomon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2023-07-11, 15:07:

Yes, it's not a VM but an emulator. Dosbox always presents an emulated, non-existent CPU.

Ahh...Ok, so it's always emulated. That makes sense.
The Wiki entry under Performance states that an Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33 GHz can be used to emulate a Pentium II 300MHz in DOSBox. One comparison between an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz and the Intel Core i3-2350M 2.30GHz shows the two neck-and-neck in terms of performance, according to userbenchmark. This lead me to think that my i3 should be capable of no less than 100% on that benchmark—probably be a bit more.
It must be core=normal that's slowing it down. I can live with an i3 that's barely up Pentium 60 specs 😀
As jmarsh suggested, this is not a bug; I was simply unclear as to what was meant by max cycles. I'm still getting the precise hang of the terminology.
And thanks for clarifying that point about emulation. Much appreciated.

Reply 7 of 8, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You have to realize that DOSBox is not multi-threaded. So more cores will not help. What does help is a higher GHz rating, or just generally a newer CPU.

Here is what I get on my notebook with default dosbox settings:

chessr_000.png
Filename
chessr_000.png
File size
127.72 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 8 of 8, by drSolomon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2023-07-12, 11:24:

You have to realize that DOSBox is not multi-threaded. So more cores will not help. What does help is a higher GHz rating, or just generally a newer CPU.

Here is what I get on my notebook with default dosbox settings:

With dynamic core I can get 99% of a Pentium Pro 200. Setting core to normal, which is what I prefer, comes with an acceptable penalty now that I understand why it happens.