VOGONS

First post, by adamatom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, let me preface this post by saying I am pretty new to DOS and not great with computers in general. The extent of my knowledge is being able to mod more modern games like Skyrim etc. This coding language confuses the hell out of me... 😳

After a copious amount of searching, I couldn't find a solution to my issue. I downloaded the GOG Galaxy version of TESA Redguard, applied the speedrun fix .bat file, as all the fixes to make the game run smoothly are contained within. It runs smoothly. However, when trying to run TESA Redguard through DOSBox-X it has an error message about the D disk drive. I thought simply mounting it with usual DOS commands would work but apparently you have to do something to tell DOS where the disk is located or something. I'm very confused.

The speedrun fix works when the game is run with DOSBox-G, which installed into the game folder of Redguard when I downloaded either the the GOG games official download, or the speedrun fix but I'm not sure which part of the process installed it into the game folder (I can reinstall and check if needs be). I can't for the life of me figure out how to route the game to run through DOBox-X, so I gave up trying. My issue is that with this DOSBox-G, I cant seem to map the keys to a joystick properly. The arrow keys for movement are working but the buttons and triggers are not registering correctly. Some of them are assigned to multiple buttons. I have this cheap fake PS2 clone controller. It works properly and I can keymap all the buttons on nintendo emulators etc, so the fault is a software issue/incompatibility, NOT with the controller itself.

My options are:

- either ask for help getting it to run through DOSBox-X and maybe the keymapping will then work correctly.
- OR maybe someone knows how to get G's keymapping to configure correctly.

This is turning out to be super complicated for such a simple task as trying to use a controller to run an old game... Maybe Redguard is just not going to work with a controller... The controls suck so bad though. I can't bring myself to do it with the keyboard. I have yet to try this controller with other DOSBox games, so it could as previously mentioned, just be a software incompatibility issue.

Thanks