VOGONS

First post, by Bogorra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently, I purchased a copy of The Ultimate RPG Archives on eBAY, and am desperately trying to run the second CD-rom using DOSBox. I currently have Windows xp. Here are the steps I have taken. (Note: My real CD-rom drive is F)
mount c c:\
mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 1 -ioctl
d:
DOSSETUP

After selecting the game on the list that I wish to install, DOSBox crashes. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Reply 2 of 12, by Bogorra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the quick response! Yes, upon using the MOUNT -cd command, I found out that -usecd 1 is correct. This also works for other cd-rom games that I have tried such as stonekeep and wizardry gold. Also, the installation prgram runs, but crashes in about five seconds. Thanks again, I'll keep at it!

Reply 3 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bogorra wrote:

Also, the installation prgram runs, but crashes in about five seconds. Thanks again, I'll keep at it!

Any visible error message?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 12, by Bogorra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there! I am using DOSBox 0.63. The installation program is Ultimate RPG Archives installer by Interplay. It is accessed by entering DOSSETUP.
Please also note that a folder is created for the selected install destination before the crash, but it is empty. The games on CD-2 are the only ones to utilize the Ultimate RPG archives installer. I have had luck running the games on other CD-s. Hope this makes sense!

Reply 7 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm did you try a cvs version of dosbox ?
See the development forum on how to obtain it.
There were some improvements that fixed a few installers. Maybe this installer uses one of these tricks as well

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 12, by twistedemotions

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this same issue as Bogorra with a 11-29 build.

The Ultimate RPG Archives Disk 2 has:

The Bard's Tale: Tales of the Unknown
The Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
The Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate
The Bard's Tale Construction Set
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds
Wasteland
Dragon Wars

On the root of the CD is DOSSETUP.EXE

When you run this it opens up a selection menu allowing you to select the game you want to install. After selecting the game, this excutable lauches another excuatable called RPGINST.EXE. There is a different RPGINST.EXE in each folder for each game. Which one is launches depends on what your selection was when DOSSETUP.EXE was run.

When any RPGINST.EXE is run it gives you the option to what directory you want to install to. After selecting your directory, it shows a screen saying "Installing XXXXXXX... Please wait" Then says the program was installed.

However... when you go the the directory where you installed it... There are just empty directories.

Reply 10 of 12, by hawkman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having the same problem with CD2 from The Ultimate RPG Archives and I was able to get around the problem like others with just copying the files manually. The only problem I have is with Underworld 1, possibly 2 as well but I haven't fiddled with it. I cannot get any sound or music to work. It doesn't appear to even know I have a soundcard. The options can not even be turned on in game. If I run uwsound.exe it states:

Configures Underworld for non default Soundcards

You do not currently have any sound devices installed.
If you wish to add sound devices, run INSTALL

Since there is no INSTALL and RPGINST.EXE has the problems listed earlier in the thread I can't seem to find away around this.

Reply 11 of 12, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For UW1 & UW2 you just run UINSTALL.EXE to tell it what sound card to use, then you run UWSOUND.EXE to set up the IRQ for the sound card. I have the Ultimate RPG myself and that works for me just fine.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 12 of 12, by hawkman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤣 - no matter how many times I looked at that I kept reading it as uNinstall.exe and even though I thought it was odd that a DOS program had an uninstall program I didn't take a closer look at it.

Thank you. As you would expect. It works fine now.