VOGONS

Screamer 2

Topic actions

First post, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I played Screamer 2 in DOSbox using a downloaded cracked (?) version. However, the game was soooooo sloooooow that I've never seen anything like it on DOSbox.

I thought it may be the cracked version's fault, so last week, I bought the game from Sold Out Software. The CD version was twice the size of the cracked version and came with a bunch of patches.

However, I can't get the game running now!

When I install the "full" patch, the game says "please insert Screamer 2 disk". I guess that's the CD it's asking for, but it's already in the drive, and the drive never even spins up, so I know it's not even looking for it.

Then there's an "S2.EXE" in the same patch folder, without any instructions. When I copy that into the S2 folder and run it (after having installed the "full" patch, using XP DOS, btw, since DOSbox can't handle the patch installation), the game says "no PCI bus detected" and quits.

Also, if I replace the DOS4GW with DOS32a (7.35) it crashes with the following screen:

Anyone have any ways around this?

EDIT: Actually, if I run the .pif file for Windows, I get a similar message that no PCI bus is found (though it's not the same message, it is a longer message, but blinks past too fast to see properly). But I'm running it on a 1ghz laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon M6 (AGP though, I think).

Attachments

• s2.png
    Filename
    s2.png
    File size
    29.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 32, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Screamer 2 was a late DOS game... it needed a fairliy high computer (Pentium, I guess)... Do you have enough power to run it at full speed?

Anyway... have you tried using VDMSound? Maybe it could run faster. Also, there was a Glide patch for Screamer, Screamer 2 and Screamer rally. You could run it with VDMSound and Glidos or dgVoodoo and take advantage of your 3D card.

I remember that game ran on 16 bit color modes... but I don't remember if it did in 8 bit color modes...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 32, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since I can't even run it with the .pif file, I doubt that glidos or vdmsound would do any difference. But I posted here in the DOSbox forums because I would like to get it running under it.

The S23DFX.EXE was located in the patch folder as well, though.

I have set the game to run in 256 color mode and low resolution. My computer should be fast enough for that. But I'm only running at 4000 cycles, getting a reading (from the setup.exe) of 17mb/s in VGA speed. Could that be why the game says that I don't have PCI?

Anyway, in order to raise the CPU cycles, I would have to wait until I get home afer my summer break to try it on my stationary computer.

Reply 3 of 32, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, yes... I've been trying with Screamer Rally. Maybe it would help you:

Requirements:
- Pentium@100 Mhz (fairly high... you will need a NASA computer with DOSBox).
- 16 Mb RAM (32 with Win95, but it doesn't have a native Win9x exe).
- A VGA card.
- Sound Blaster or compatible (although the game works with other cards).

- It works in my XP SP2 using VDMSound, speed ok. But you will need DOSBox to run setup. Also, use VDMSound AND sapucdex to run it.
- I've been able to run it in low res, 256 color mode. With NoLFB it starts, but soon it crashes.
- Replacing stub with DOS32A didn't help.
- The BEST option: Use dgVoodoo. Start cmd, use DOSDRV, use SAPUCDEX and start any 3dfx exe you have. Some gliches, but I think is a poorly configured dgVoodoo in my computer.

HINT: Don't rely on .PIF files 😉

Ok, what it worked:

Run cmd and then run VDMSound and sapucdex. Install the game. It will crash soon after the game is installed (when it tries to start setup). Close that window, now it's useless.

Run DOSBox and run setup within dosbox. Choose your graphic, sound and control options. Save the config and then close DOSBox.

To play: Run cmd, then DOSDRV from VDMSound, then SAPUCDEX and at last STARTL or STRT3FX or SR3DFX2 (are the ones that are working for me, you may want to try another exe). Play. Win or Lose. Exit the game. Exit the window.

This can (or not) be useful for you. Another HINT: In http://www.patches-scrolls.de you can find a patch for Screamer II. Is version 1.11.

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 32, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Again, thanks, but those instructions won't help me to get it running in DOSbox, and I wanted to run it in DOSbox because I posted in the DOSbox forums! 😉

You're help is appreciated, though.

Also, that patch is the same patch that's on the CD I got, but the S2.EXE from the patch folder is much newer, as it is dated 1997-07-22 (it's also larger, at 1,24MB).

It's also interesting to see that the S23DFX.EXE is only around 400KB and from the year 2000.

Reply 5 of 32, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry... but I didn't realize you were in DOSBox forum.

DOSBox doesn't have 3DFX emulation, so I think the latter patch would not help you (unless you play it in XP).

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 32, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game works alright for me except the setup won't work. When I execute the setup it gives me a black screen and after closing after a few seconds it gives me an error:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\SCREAM~1\scream2\SETUP.EXE
The system cannot open COM2 port requested by the application. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

When I attempt to open setup through the means of DOSBox, it does not show me anything and just closes after a minute or so.

Reply 7 of 32, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so this topic is very old, but no resolution seems to have been found, and the game still refuses to run with the "no PCI bus detected" error even in the new DosBox 0.65.

Also, if you try to run the game using Dos32A 9.1.1 you get the following additional errors:

Dos/32A warning (9003): real mode interrupt vector has been modified: INT 08h
Dos/32A warning (9003): real mode interrupt vector has been modified: INT 09h
Dos/32A warning (9003): real mode interrupt vector has been modified: INT 0Fh

Has anyone had any luck using different configurations or tweaks?

EDIT: I just noticed that I ran the STARTL.EXE directly in my first post, so I tried that now. The game doesn't crash anymore, but it keeps asking for the CD, even though it is in the drive. I don't know, Sold Out Software adds a Macromedia Flash installer to all their discs, perhaps it's the fault of that, but I doubt it, since the CD otherwise looks pretty much like a DOS CD ought to, including the SCREAM2 label.

EDIT (again): With the aid of a few people I got to try out some cracks for the game which supposedly would remove the CD check. However, none of them fully worked, but in the process, I discovered that it was probably the copy protection's fault that the game asked for the CD. Adding -ioctl to the CD-ROM mount command makes the game run. Although, it's not pretty... about 1 fps on my machine, unfortunately and it takes about half a minute for it to even start.

Reply 8 of 32, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can run it perfectly - just make a CD image of the game and mount that. Also make sure to mount the CD as your D drive.

The problem I have is that the game's setup won't work in DOSBOX. It gives a black screen.

Reply 9 of 32, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Version 0.70 now runs Screamer 2 amazingly fast! I even get about 25-30 fps in high resolution mode (using dos32a). Really impressive.

The setup still gives a black screen, though, but I wonder if that is due to IPX or CD or something like that...

Reply 10 of 32, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got Screamer 2 running with the 3dfx patch using ykhwong's cvs (20070305). The framerate is a bit low on my machine, but it is definitly playable. I used the cd and the setup worked fine for me.

Reply 12 of 32, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got Screamer 2 and Screamer Rally to run in WindowsXP in 3DFX mode, high res with perfect(ish) sound using a combination of dgVoodoo and VDMSound.

The tricks are in VDMSound to use sapucdex in DOS Environment > Additional options and under Performance Try to reduce CPU usage to Low usage.

I shall be playing with these again shortly...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 13 of 32, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can play S2 even in 640x480 256 colours and it's fast. To run the setup you have to select low cycles, not max, then it runs.

### Cosmic Supremacy ### --- a free 3D space MMO for Civilization and Master of Orion fans!!!

Reply 14 of 32, by Strauss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can I get some help running this on DOSBox? I'm having the same "Insert Screamer 2 Disc" error when attempting to run.

I'm on a MacBook running OS X Leopard, with DOSBox 0.73. I'm using an original release CD of S2.

Reply 17 of 32, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what is your dosbox version and where have you got it from?
what is your Operating System?
what are your PC specifications?
post your exact mountings
post what is written after you mounted
post dosbox status window
post your dosbox's config file

Reply 18 of 32, by Strauss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox v0.73, downloaded from the DOSBox homepage.
Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8
MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.13 GHz, 2 GB RAM, GeForce 9400M w/ 256 MB VRAM

Drive C mount: mount c /Users/xxxxx/Documents/DOSGAMES/Screamer
Response is: Drive C is mounted as local directory /Users/xxxxx/Documents/DOSGAMES/Screamer/

Drive D mount: mount D /Volumes/SCREAM2 -t cdrom
(note I have tried the -ioctl command, and I could not tell if it activated or not.)
Response is: MSCDEX: Mounted subdirectory: limited support.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom /Volumes/SCREAM2/

For the status window, do you want a SS of the command line when I attempt to run the game, or is there another "status window" that I need to open somewhere?

Also, which exact config file is it that you're looking for?