VOGONS

First post, by Uhura

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello together!

I tried to play System Shock 1 CD Version but it runs extremly slow on my computer. Increasing the cycles to ~95% CPU Load helped but still very slow in 640x480 or 640x400 resolution.

I have an Athlon 64 3800+ and 1GB of memory (WinXP SP2).

I tried several things, playing without sound etc. but still too slow. Is it possible that that game runs smootly? Not that I try for a week and then find out it is impossible. 😀

Wish you a nice day

Reply 1 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game is very demanding. I could barely get it playable at the lowest resolution on my Athlon XP 3200+. DOS32A and a recent CVS build of DOSBox may help a little, but don't expect much. Also turn off any scalers (they eat up CPU time) and try all the different output renderers (ddraw, surface, opengl, overlay, etc.)

For later 3D games like this and Fade to Black, we'll just have to wait a couple more years until computers are faster and DOSBox is more mature.

If you're really desperate, I'd try getting it to run natively in XP's DOS window with VDMSound.

Reply 2 of 10, by Uhura

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm with the VDMSound it does not even run, get an error after trying to start a new game.

DOSBox seems to be a very slow program, if that kind of emulation takes so much CPU power, it is nothing more than extremly bad coded.

Reply 4 of 10, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSBox seems to be a very slow program, if that kind of emulation takes so much CPU power, it is nothing more than extremly bad coded.

Don't use it then. You CLEARLY haven't a single clue as to just what Dosbox actually is.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 6 of 10, by Uhura

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Already uninstalled it!

I just downloaded it to play System Shock, not for the nostalgic outlook and not as a tutorial "How to code an emulater where even old games which required a 100-200Mhz CPU will run on around 4Ghz with 4fps". 😁

Reply 8 of 10, by Uhura

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, if you think you could do it better, start coding one yourself.

Ah come on how old are you? 12, 13?

If your baker provides you bad tasting bread what would you tell him if he says "Then do it by yourself". Think about it.

DosBox project honors itself with this gamestuff. 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah come on how old are you? 12, 13?

At least that would make him 3 years older than you.

If your baker provides you bad tasting bread what would you tell him if he says "Then do it by yourself". Think about it.

What a crap analogy. Never heard of bread makers ?
Wonderful, consumer priced devices that make bread thats *infinitely* better than any baker could muster up. So I would go make it myself.

This thread is fast approaching a lockdown...

Please do, as this thread is about as useful as a human turd, floating in someone's swimming pool.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2