VOGONS

Dark Sun - Wake of the Ravager

Topic actions

First post, by jkhristian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get Dark Sun 2 Wake of the Ravager CD version to run. Any advice for getting it to run using D-Fend?

Also does anyone know what files in the game need to be updated with DOS32A?

Reply 2 of 24, by jkhristian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did a search of the forum. Nothing specifically related to Dark Sun with regards to D-Fend. Nor is there anything that tells what file to update with DOS32A. It doesnt have seperate Dos4GW nor do most SSI games. Its always embedded somewhere else. For instance in Ravenloft it is Code.1 and Code.2. But these files are not used in Dark Sun 2.

I have seen how to get this program to run in pure DosBox I was just wondering if it can be set up in D-Fend that way.

Reply 3 of 24, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Umm yes well D-fend is only a front-end. It does the exact same thing as dosbox. All the options are equal to the same lines in the config. Nothing special.

Reply 4 of 24, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dark Sun 2: Wake of the Ravager have no protected-mode executables (at least mine), so DOS4GW and DOS32A are out of the equation here.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 24, by jkhristian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I got it working pretty good except for the Intro. The sound is completely messed up there. Any advice on getting the Intro to work properly. Right now the sound and the music is messed up.

Im sooo close now. 😀

Reply 6 of 24, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a SOUND.BAT file for configure sound settings. Did you use it? If so, try selecting different settings. While I was running it I got a Gravis Ultrasound error of some sort, by the way...

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 24, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the cdrom version of this game, too. It uses cd audio for the music, but tracks 2 and 3 (used in the intro) are completly messed up (just noise), even if played in a normal cd player. May be it's a production error.

Reply 11 of 24, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I am not sure now which one of Ravenloft 1/2, Dark Sun 1/2 games was it, but I remember that for one game I had to use -ioctl switch when mounting CD (otherwise the sound and intro were not synchronized).
Maybe it was DS 2, I do not remember...

Mirek

Reply 15 of 24, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think that CD audio is used - so no, just copying files is not enough... (Only if you use CD image - I usually use externally Daemon Tools to create a virtual CD ROM, I am not sure how it is with IMGMOUNT and CD Audio).
Anyway - did you try ioctl?

Mirek

Reply 16 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well for CD Audio you'll have to use IMGMOUNT with an image created in CUE format using CDRWIN or Alcohol. The .CUE file references the DATA/AUDIO positions in the .BIN image file.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 24, by twistedemotions

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the CD version from the Masterpiece Collection.

My issue was that after the intro plays at the starting menu the game plays LOUD static. Just like the static from an untuned radio. This occurs even when mounting using -ioctrl. In fact the game wouldn't load without -ioctrl.

Beyond that static the music (which is on the CD in tracks) plays fine in the game, along with the voices. When I use Windows Media Player to play the 1st 2 tracks of the CD, I get the exact same static also.

I just gave up and came to the conclusion that is was a production error with the Masterpiece Collection version. Research shows my hunch is correct:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.p … dba76b9dcaa0dbb

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.p … 9b05c91c4e90a81

You will have to find an original unbundled copy of the game to fix this issue. Perhaps one could find a way just the redestribute the two audio tracks, so others can "patch" their game by burning a new CD (replacing the 2 bad tracks).

Reply 19 of 24, by jkhristian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, I have an original copy unbundled. I guess this was a problem even when the game was release. I get static and cutouts. I cant believe SSI let something this big get past them.