VOGONS

First post, by zarakon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
System wrote:
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 Intel Core i7-6700K @4.0GHz nVidia GTX 980 Ti 6GB 32GB ram 1TB sata3 SSD Windows 10 DOSBox 0.74-2.1 […]
Show full quote

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170
Intel Core i7-6700K @4.0GHz
nVidia GTX 980 Ti 6GB
32GB ram
1TB sata3 SSD
Windows 10
DOSBox 0.74-2.1

dosbox.conf wrote:
fullscreen=false fulldouble=false fullresolution=desktop windowresolution=1920x1440 output=openglnb autolock=1 sensitivity=50 wa […]
Show full quote

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=1920x1440
output=openglnb
autolock=1
sensitivity=50
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=31

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=tv2x forced

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=80

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=compat
oplrate=44100

pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandy=auto
tandyrate=44100
disney=true

I started playing Master of Orion 2 a few weeks ago, using the installation from GOG. I didn't do much with the dosbox config other than getting the resolution and scaler looking the way I wanted. A few days later I added the 1.50 patch from moo2mod.com. For a while, it ran perfectly.

Then a few days ago I suddenly started running into stuttering problems. Intermittently, with seemingly no relation to what's going on in the game, it will stutter. Sometimes it's just for a fraction of a second, and in the worst cases it can last several seconds. When it happens, it affects everything in the game. I often see sound stuttering as a common dosbox issue, but this also includes game animations and mouse movement, so I can't say whether sound is the root issue or just one of the symptoms. During the long interruptions, the game isn't completely frozen, but seems to be running around 1 frame per second. Depending on the length of a stutter, the sound may be fine afterward, or it might be garbled and crackly for a few seconds, or it might be messed up until I restart the game.

If I look at the per-core CPU performance graphs in the Windows Task Manager, I actually see the CPU utilization drop to almost nothing on the core that's running the game when the stutters happen.

I briefly loaded up Heroes of Might and Magic 2 through DOSBox and saw the same problem there, but I haven't played enough of other games to say for sure whether this is a general DOSBox problem or just specific to a couple of games.

A few things on my system changed shortly before this issue began, but not immediately before it:
- Installed an ASUS utility to manage fan speeds
- Reconnected and updated my Vive headset (Steam VR)
- Connected a bluetooth dongle and tried (failed) to get an xbox controller to connect to it.
I have since uninstalled the ASUS utility and disconnected the Vive and the bluetooth dongle.

If I set the CPU cycles to a fixed amount (e.g. 400000) instead of Auto and close basically everything else that's running (Steam, GOG, Chrome) that seems to maybe make it better. It's definitely not 100% though, and it's hard to say exactly how much (or even if) it helps because the problem is so irregular to begin with.

Tried a separate fresh install, same problem.

Ran Microsoft Defender scans (full scan and offline scan) that didn't turn up anything.

I can run non-DOSBox games (tried Outer Wilds and Minecraft) without any issues

Any ideas what might have changed to start causing this problem? I feel like even if there's a way to fix or mitigate it with dosbox.conf settings, I'll be bothered if I don't know why it worked fine before..

Reply 1 of 8, by Guybrush1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having the same problem with all my games running through both vanilla dosbox and staging. They were all running fine about a few weeks ago.

I noticed on my end it starts to lag/stutter when I move my mouse; if I don't move the mouse at all the game seems to run fine.

Reply 3 of 8, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can try these two options to narrow down the issue:

1. You can also play MOO2 (Windows version) nativley in Windows (use Orion95.exe, although it might require the 1.5 community patch if I recall correctly).
Maybe you don't encounter slowdowns here and you can at least continue with MOO2.

2. Try disabling Windows Defender temporarily (either completely and/or solely the realtime engine). Disabling it manually (without registry hacks) will turn it back on after around 15 minutes. Keep that time frame in mind.

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 4 of 8, by zarakon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Guybrush1234 wrote on 2024-01-13, 05:05:

I'm having the same problem with all my games running through both vanilla dosbox and staging. They were all running fine about a few weeks ago.

I noticed on my end it starts to lag/stutter when I move my mouse; if I don't move the mouse at all the game seems to run fine.

mbsystem wrote on 2024-01-13, 07:10:

"I'm sure, really sure, that the culprit is Windows Update !" Windows 11 is affected too. Try copy very big files between media external drives, analyze the results.

Interesting. If it really is a general Windows problem, hopefully they'll put out a fix soon

1541 wrote on 2024-01-13, 08:45:
You can try these two options to narrow down the issue: […]
Show full quote

You can try these two options to narrow down the issue:

1. You can also play MOO2 (Windows version) nativley in Windows (use Orion95.exe, although it might require the 1.5 community patch if I recall correctly).
Maybe you don't encounter slowdowns here and you can at least continue with MOO2.

2. Try disabling Windows Defender temporarily (either completely and/or solely the realtime engine). Disabling it manually (without registry hacks) will turn it back on after around 15 minutes. Keep that time frame in mind.

Orion95 seems to have a number of problems of its own, and as far as I can tell the 1.40 and 1.50 community patches (which I certainly want) only work for the DOS version

Disabling Windows Defender didn't make a difference

Reply 5 of 8, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember also having sound issues with MOO2. It could be fine for ~20 minutes, then suddenly the sound becomes garbled and it could stay like that or fix itself for a while until the same thing repeats again.

I configured the game to use GUS for soundFX and MT-32 for music and I don't remember having any issues since. Your issue sounds a bit different but maybe worth a try if it fixes your case also.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 6 of 8, by Guybrush1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reporting back, the lag/stutter when I move my mouse is gone. It just fixed itself. I have no idea what was causing it .

Edit: And it's back again : (
The games are fine when using keyboard only but the games start stuttering as I move the mouse curser around.

Reply 7 of 8, by Guybrush1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reporting back, I think I found the problem. It's opengl. I changed output=opengl to output=overlay and no more stuttering! I don't know why but maybe the cause of the problem is the newest Nvidia drivers?

FYI, here is a video of the stuttering when moving the mouse cursor. It's from another user playing the game Blood and Magic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RTG3pR_kWA&t