VOGONS

First post, by The Devil Hunter

User metadata

hey, when i try to play shadow warrior, windowed and full, it tends to go somewhat slow. Iam running xp, 128 mb ram (yes i know), all in wonder 128 pro ati card, yea, its pretty much all stock. So, is there anyway to spead it up to where shadow warrior runs at the speed it should be going at? Btw, if i have to change the .conf file, break it down for me. Iam sill a newbie on all this txt file editing stuff. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The short answer is that you need a very very fast PC for DOSBox to be able to get decent speed on something as complex as Shadow Warrior. You're probably best off waiting a while until Jonof's Duke3D source port supports it, or until you get a really fast computer.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I split this post out of a completely unrelated topic.

Reply 3 of 11, by The Devil Hunter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, that sucks. Anyways, i was able to get a few games to work, but others, it goes real slow on the dosbox. I think its a cool program. Just wish i can play Shadow Warrior. Don't know why i need a high end computer to play it. Also i tried those port things, had no luck. And for some reason, i can't play duke 3d with the dosbox, i can only play it the normal way in xp. The sound and music are cheap, cuse i got that patch thing from there site. Thanks alot guys for this program. Iam glad i can sill play old games.

Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Reply 4 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why can't you play Duke3D and Shadow Warrior with the ports (Not DosBox but Jonof Duke3D and Jonof Shadow Warrior? They play fine on a 400mhz computer so unless your trying to play the games on anything lower then they should play fine.

As far as getting it to work, it's been awhile but IIRC all you need to do is put the Duke/Shadow Warrior .GRP file into the same directory as Jonof Duke or Jonof Shadow Warrior.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 11, by The Devil Hunter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, i dont know how to work the ports, thats all. Iam pretty much a newbie in all this stuff. Btw, what do u mean by .grp file? And are the ports just like dosbox? One more thing, when i try to run the ports, it just closes down. I run a 1300 mhz computer. (Tell ya the truth, my dad got this computer in 2000, with win 2000 on it)

Reply 6 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try reading the documentation included with the ports and on their web site.

A source port means that they took the original source code for a game and modified it to be a Windows game instead of a DOS game. Of course, the source code is only for making the .EXE, so you need to put it where it can find the rest of the files for the game that contain the graphics, sound, levels, etc. (in this case, the .grp files)

Reply 7 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Due to MS brilliance (Having extensions turned off), he probably can't even see the .grp file. Thanks MS!

If you go up to the VIEW menu and choose DETAILS then should see a really big file in the Duke3D directory. Copy that big file into the same place where Jonof Duke3D port is. Then execute Jonof Duke3D.

Do the same with Shadow Warrior.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 11, by The Devil Hunter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright. thats cool. Thanks. I will try that tomarrow, its like 11 pm here. Yea. And yet, the ports work. Thanks guys. Iam surpised Shadow Warrior is fast. I just beat the demo of duke3d, Wish i could order the full version.