VOGONS

Munt Reloaded - Development

Topic actions

Reply 440 of 965, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi NewRisingSun,

That's an interesting one, thanks! The intention of the code does seem to match the behaviour you describe:

releasing the hold pedal (controller 64 = 0) releases all sustaining notes

I have a brief holiday starting today, so when I get a chance I'll try to track down why it doesn't appear to be working that way in this case.

Reply 441 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

The sound effect timbre called "Potion" in Rex Nebular is not working correctly. It's a high-pitched ringing tone combined with a ratcheting sound... hard to describe. Supposed to be some sort of klaxon, but is only a low rumbling in the emulation. It sounded the same in the May 5 build.

Potion is used in the damaged engine room of Rex's spaceship, where there is a veritable symphony of sound effects. I made a capture that contains all sysex messages, but other types of messages are limited to channel 3 in order to focus on Potion. The sound gets louder as Rex approaches its source, and I've corrected the panpot with a midi.cpp hack.

Rex Nebular, like the SCI remake of Space Quest 1, is one of those games that requires you to physically swap the left and right channels on the MT-32 output to get correct positioning because there is no compensation in software for the MT-32's backward panpot controller. Is there an option to invert panpot in the emulation? If not, it could be useful in some cases.

I hope this is fixed.

Reply 442 of 965, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The Potion sound effect in Rex Nebular is unchanged; it sounds just the same as when I first reported it. Why do you hope it is fixed? Was any attempt made to fix it specifically? I don't see any commits since April, so I think I'm using the latest code here.

Reply 445 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

How often are changes made in the -qt branch moved into the master branch (where applicable)?

Generally, I assume (and KG agrees) mt32emu_qt is our "head" branch.

Well, if I am sure about the change, and I have it reviewed with KG, I try to merge immediately. This particular one, however, is not reviewed / confirmed for now.

And regarding the Potion timbre, is it generation 1 specific, btw? I made it sounding similar to my (gee!, yeah, I got one recently! 😀 ) CM-64, so it could be a problem.

Reply 446 of 965, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having trouble with mt32emu-qt. I try to play a midi, select the mt32 rom that comes up (in folder), but nothing plays. I've also installed the driver and selected mt32 from my midi selection list but when I play a file in Media Player it gives me an error "can't open synth". I've also made sure to edit the .ini file to point to the mt32 roms. What am I doing wrong?

I have win7 64bit, driver signing disabled.

Reply 447 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's quite a hard to realize what you are actually doing wrong. But there are two things to consider:

- the mt32emu-qt console allows to see some useful info, should help in troubleshooting

- .inf installer method doesn't work for 64-bit Windows at all, regardless of driver signing; drvsetup.exe that comes with mt32emu-qt should do the job.

Reply 448 of 965, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a console? I tried running it via command line but didn't get anything. I do notice something briefly appearing on the screen when I execute the program that is in a cmd prompt but it disappears.

For some reason, it keeps wanting me to locate mt32_PCM.rom which I have in the folder but then nothing plays. If I try to choose the rom folder in the toolbar menu, it will ask me twice for the same pcm.rom and not even ask for the control rom.

I guess there might be something wrong with my roms?

As you said the inf one I downloaded didn't install but the drvsetup.exe seemed to work. I can select the mt32 driver in a midi selector I have but then when I try to play a midi in an external player like media player I get that error message.

Reply 449 of 965, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps you do not have the right version of the ROMs. It checks the MD5 to see if you have the right ROMs.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 451 of 965, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you use the driver independent of the app, you have to set your Windows MIDI device to Munt.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 452 of 965, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have set it to mt32 using a variety of midi switchers. I've also tried reinstalling the driver but it says it's already installed.

edit: just tried reinstalling windows and get the same error.

Reply 453 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Can't open Synth" means the driver can't get the synth opened. Most common reason for this is the synth has no access to ROM files. I'd double check the PathToROMFiles variable in C:\windows\mt32emu.ini
Also note, that currently it's quite a mess with these configuration options, specifically, the driver looks for ROM files with exact names like these:

MT32_PCM.ROM and MT32_CONTROL.ROM
- or -
CM32L_PCM.ROM and CM32L_CONTROL.ROM

whereas the Qt-app is able to open ROM files regardless of the names but with right contents (the file SHA1 digests must equal the hardcoded values). I hope this shame will eventually be gone very soon... Though, as I now get a piece of h/w, making some improvements in the emulation accuracy is of a bit higher priority for me 😀

Reply 454 of 965, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wait a second, do you have to leave the program open? Because I just tried a file in media player now and it appears to be working but I must leave mt32emu-qt open for it to play.

Last edited by Xenphor on 2012-09-26, 12:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 455 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If so, you definitely messed up with ROMs for the driver. It really detects whether the qt-app is running and sends MIDI messages to the app for processing. If there is no qt-app running, it handles MIDI messages itself (and uses your misconfigured / absent mt32emu.ini). BTW, the default setting for the paths to the ROMs the driver uses in the latter case is the system directory, e.g. C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64, as the driver is able to work in win32 mode only.

Reply 457 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only place mt32emu.ini could affect the driver settings is the windows directory, e.g. C:\WINDOWS. drvsetup.exe copies mt32emu.ini to this location. This is where you should make changes.

Reply 458 of 965, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok what I did was modify the .ini in C:\Windows to point to C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64. I then placed the roms in that folder and that got it to work. The .ini had still retained my original target of the mt32emu folder on my D:\ drive but obviously that did not work.