VOGONS

Munt Reloaded - Development

Topic actions

Reply 480 of 965, by Timar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After all the awesome work sergm has done on Munt Reloaded during the past year, I wonder when Munt Reloaded will finally be merged into the Munt main branch? It's unfortunate than only this rather esoteric crowd on Vogons knows about the huge advancement in Munt Reloaded (which has been downloaded a few hundred times from munt_devel) whereas the old, vastly inferior Munt still gets thousands of downloads and is part of the regular DOSBox and ScummVM builds...

Reply 481 of 965, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1st munt is NOT part of the regular Dosbox builts.
2nd AFAIK Munt reloaded IS part of Munt already...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 482 of 965, by Timar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2nd AFAIK Munt reloaded IS part of Munt already...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/

The regular build which is downloaded hundreds of times per week is still the acient, 7-year-old 0.1.3. It's the same version which is included in ScummVM. Probably 99% of all munt users still use this build (and don't know that there is a vastly superior version available)

Reply 483 of 965, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That there is no release with new stuff is an entirely different issue.
Munt reloaded is part of munt on github (you can follow that link you gave to github.
ScummVM is using a modified munt, not the last release. Please get your facts right.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 485 of 965, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Then write what you mean and don't spread lies

I wonder when Munt Reloaded will finally be merged into the Munt main branch?

it has already been merged

the old, vastly inferior Munt still gets thousands of downloads and is part of the regular DOSBox and ScummVM builds.

you are right about the downloads, monthly about 300-400 downloads of the old one, but it is *not at all* part of Dosbox and only in a really modified way part of ScummVM.

The regular build which is downloaded hundreds of times per week is still the acient, 7-year-old 0.1.3.

see

that's at the most 350 downloads per month, not "hundreds per week".

Yes, I'm nitpicking but that is only because you came here with big words and that rubbed me wrong. Don't exaggerate and don't spread lies 😀

Reply 487 of 965, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

low blow 😀
(Todays mission accomplished, made a new friend 😉)

Reply 488 of 965, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ScummVM uses Munt Reloaded since February 2012.
Ykhwong's DOSBox build uses Munt Reloaded since quite some time.

So it's not limited to the esoteric crowd anymore. Yes, I agree the github repository should supersede the old Sourceforge one, but average users are not really interested in the stand-alone synth/driver (which is a shame). Most of them just want DOSBox to emulate the MT-32.

Reply 489 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, this is a shame that we have not made a single release for almost two years (though, IIRC, rumors were about doing this in May 2011). And I think that is certainly a miss that there is no support for munt in the official DOSBox. 🙁

Reply 491 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is also a shame 😀
The only point to use it instead of Ykhwong's great builds was I updated the emu engine a bit faster. I need to put an emphasis that all those builds are dev-prev only.

Reply 492 of 965, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a ppa with a dosbox static version of the mt32 patch by sergm. It automatically builds the latest dosbox svn and munt git, into one autoupdated ppa.

https://code.launchpad.net/~i30817/+archive/dosbox-patched

To be honest i'm not sure it's not going to be irritating once the repositories start commiting again (every week dosbox would be 'updated' to the latest source).

It's a bit annoying that you can't use the 32 bit version of dosbox in ubuntu 64 bits yet (i think). Considering it's faster.

Reply 493 of 965, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm currently working on a new MT-32 video project. I guess I should also cover emulation.

Should I use Ykhwong's build to demonstrate a fair situation of the current MT-32 emulator?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 494 of 965, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it is to include build of DOSBox with Munt, why don't you use sergm's build? It is just a plain vanilla SVN with Munt patched in. No use confusing the video with all of the extraneous extras of Ykhwong's build. You might also cover using the Munt driver (perhaps with installing the driver, too) with DOSBox and the Qt app, too.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 495 of 965, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

If it is to include build of DOSBox with Munt, why don't you use sergm's build?

I get the impression he doesn't want his builds to be "out and about" yet. I'll ask him though 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 496 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Mau1wurf1977:

Hmm, if I preferred to keep those builds safe, I'd never put them to a shared place like GitHub. 😀 However, as you can see they are just for development / testing and still lack some functionality for production use.

I told you I felt that direct advertising of munt wasn't polite to end users just because of the unavailability of the ROMs to the public. But I think this problem will be actual for quite a long time yet. I assume the project is about emulation and silently ignores this problem. (ah, yeah, you really need ROMs for it to work, forgot to say, sorry) 😀

As for the release, my opinion is open source software should be released more often. Though, I do remind KG about it, but he maybe thinks we are not there yet. IMHO, there is no perfection and we'll never get there this way. 😀

It'd be much better if you could mention that "Recently appeared a new great munt release. It provides for accurate emulation and yet easy to use. Just visit munt page @ SF" or whatever similar rather. But this is your decision, of course. 😀

Reply 497 of 965, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok no worries!

I think I will just use Ykhwong's latest build as a short demonstration of what MT-32 emulation is like. The focus is not on where to get it and how to install it, but more about what such an emulator sounds like compared to the real thing.

My YouTube channel

Reply 498 of 965, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Then you really should get the latest munt driver to be as fair as possible 😉

Reply 499 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ugh, I'm struggling with reverb now, and it appears to be tricky... But I still modestly have a hope I can handle it. 😀

A bit weird to me that there are only two of us (though, KG is really short in time recently) caring about the actual munt code. 😒