VOGONS

Common searches

CGA Composite Mode under DOSBOX (Commited r3804)

Topic actions

Reply 740 of 749, by OmegaPC777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VileRancour wrote:
OmegaPC777 wrote:

Hey, can I have that Tandy/PCjr composite patch, please?

As the replies above yours indicate- an accurate Tandy/PCjr patch calibrated from real machines is not yet ready. The best one currently available is the PCjr patch by NRS which can be found on page 35. But while we're at it, since you've been submitting composite CGA shots on MobyGames, I'd urge you to use the latest accurate patch instead of what's in DOSBox SVN. 😉

I just started using that patch you suggested me.

Reply 741 of 749, by VileR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is reenigne's improved composite CGA patch updated for current DOSBox SVN (as of r4115).
Refreshers: F12 toggles composite on/off/auto; Ctrl+Alt+F11 cycles through settings to change (CGA model, hue, saturation, contrast, brightness, sharpness); F11/Alt+F11 modify the current setting. You might need to generate a new keymapper file while in machine=cga.

Filename
dosbox-r4115-composite-hires.diff
File size
26.04 KiB
Downloads
80 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
dosbox-r4115-composite-hires.zip
File size
1.36 MiB
Downloads
125 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Since r4095, DOSBox's opengl output can handle >8 bpp inputs, so the emulated composite screen can be aspect-corrected properly now. (The above build also has the enhanced normal scalers, so you can set e.g. "scaler=normal2x forced" and it'll actually have an effect in this mode.)

The color-depth issue was the only disadvantage of this patch vs. DOSBox's existing one. Since that is now solved, I see no real reason why this shouldn't be committed to trunk. 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 743 of 749, by VileR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NewRisingSun wrote:

I don't see Tandy/PCjr composite support though. I would say that should be added before "committing to trunk".

That'd be nice. We'd still need the chroma_multiplexer arrays for those machines, so Trixter/reenigne are welcome to indicate here whether they'd appreciate more prodding in the matter. 😁

Reply 744 of 749, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:
NewRisingSun wrote:

I don't see Tandy/PCjr composite support though. I would say that should be added before "committing to trunk".

That'd be nice. We'd still need the chroma_multiplexer arrays for those machines, so Trixter/reenigne are welcome to indicate here whether they'd appreciate more prodding in the matter. 😁

I consider myself appropriately prodded. Life is and has been crazy and hectic this past month, but I'll stick another reminder in the calendar for July.

Reply 746 of 749, by MKSheppard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VileR wrote on 2018-06-13, 00:38:

Here is reenigne's improved composite CGA patch updated for current DOSBox SVN (as of r4115).
Refreshers: F12 toggles composite on/off/auto; Ctrl+Alt+F11 cycles through settings to change (CGA model, hue, saturation, contrast, brightness, sharpness); F11/Alt+F11 modify the current setting. You might need to generate a new keymapper file while in machine=cga.

I'm using your trunk now; since it allows me to set sharpness; is there anyway to set all the CGA variables in the config file; e.g.

"Composite ON"
"Early Model CGA"
"Hue 30"
"Sharpness 80"

to save time in entering them all by hand manually?

EDIT: This is what I've got in Wilderness: A survival Adventure.

The composite photo is with the hue adjusted and sharpness as well.

Attachments

Reply 747 of 749, by VileR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MKSheppard wrote on 2020-09-09, 00:17:
is there anyway to set all the CGA variables in the config file; e.g. […]
Show full quote

is there anyway to set all the CGA variables in the config file; e.g.

"Composite ON"
"Early Model CGA"
"Hue 30"
"Sharpness 80"

to save time in entering them all by hand manually?

The DOSBox devs expressed that they didn't want extra config options, so we didn't add those in.
The enhanced patch still hasn't been merged anyway; if the dev team would indicate that they don't intend to commit it, then we might as well go wild. 😀

Reply 748 of 749, by MKSheppard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You know, I loaded up regular Wilderness in Standard 4 color CGA mode, and then altered the screenshot in Paint Shop Pro to alter the hue by -60 and I got this:

And it fits too well; it makes me wonder if the CGA palettes in-game were chosen deliberately (remember, this was 1985/1986) so that end-users would adjust the hue on their monitors manually to get this effect.

It's been so long (and I was only 6 or 7 during that era of computing), but I do vaguely remember older monitors having hue adjustment (possibly a side effect of many of them being similar to CRT TVs?)

Attachments

• Modded CGA.png
    Filename
    Modded CGA.png
    File size
    7.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 749 of 749, by VileR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That may be overestimating the effort that went into the artistic decision-making, if there was any... that game was originally an Apple II job, at least according to MobyGames. It was pretty common for folks to just use automated converters when porting graphics to another machine; or in this case just port the vector drawing routines, plug in some numbers for source->target color translation, and call it a day.

The Apple version only uses 4 colors as well, and also has a purple sky. So funnily enough the vanilla RGB CGA version is more faithful to the original.