Does Psycho work for you with the non-patched dosbox 0.65 ?
Have you used the values that miki maus has posted above?
and yes. (I though that these would be obvious.)
I just get a black window with the patch, but the game keeps running - I can hear the sounds and even exit back to the menu (where I do get the graphics). Oh, and I think that the window isn't resized correctly, as with Pinball Fantasies and Illusions.
But setting that matter aside and moving to others, I also got Pinball Illusions working with the patch. Originally, it uses the same height as Pinball fantasies (i.e. 350), but has a different table + DMD + a black area between DMD & table height, which I think is 665, though I could be off by a pixel (I counted the pixels from a screenshot - is there a more elegant way to figure out the right values?). It seems to me if you use wrong values, you just get a part of the table cut off, or an area of extra black at the bottom of the table (or at least this is what happened with Pinball Illusions).
Actually, you could also run Pinball Illusions in 640x480 and 800x600 but that has never worked in DOSBox.
Also, as no-one hasn't noted (at least as I could notice), this patch causes DOSBox to crash if you go full-screen - not that anyone would have a monitor with the correct aspect ratio anyways 😉. I accidentally went fullscreen while the hack was active, not fun if you're making a new high-score 😜
Also, as there seem to be several games that could use this patch, but with different values, why not make a patch that takes a command line in the style of '--pinballhack 350-665'? Or call it --YScrollHack or whatever. Just put a list of known games that can use this with their correct values in your documentation. In my opinion, this would be better, because:
- 1) hard-coding the values screws up other applications using the same native height (unless you code some detection rutine to run the hack only with the right application, as already suggested, but that would be more complicated)
2) nobody has an extensive list of pinballs and other games that can use this hack AFAIK
3) A user can use this feature with any application
4) It should be trivial to code, I'd think, though I can't code 😀
5) One could opt (not) to run the hack as one pleases - no need to install the hacked and non-hacked version separately
Also, maybe there are games that can use a similar hack with horizontal resolution? I don't know any, but I would assume there are some platform games with a limited but scrolling game area.
Ah well, just my hew cents 😉