VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 88, by Deniz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I ran the version of DOSBox you gave me, and set the blaster type to "none" and the oplmode=cms.
It sounded better but the sound effects were still annoying. The damage sound sounds like a high-pitched steel drum, and the Vux laser like a vibrating harpsichord, neither of which I like.

When I disabled MPU-401, no sound was produced. Is that how it's supposed to behave?

Reply 21 of 88, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deniz wrote:

When I disabled MPU-401, no sound was produced. Is that how it's supposed to behave?

1. You have to start dosbox first.
2. Do all the mountings (you may type them in [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf so it is done autoamtically when you start dosbox)
3. You have to manualy type in game's file name to run game. If you do it somehow automatically cms won't play (a bug of dosbox)

You also have to start the game with /s:cms swich or disable mpu if you don't use /s:cms swich. (both should sound the same so check both to be sure)

Reply 22 of 88, by Deniz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, interesting...
When I ran Starcon /s:cms from a GUI Frontend for DOSBox, CMS was not working. CMS works now from the command line. (Why does this happen?). Earlier it was playing MIDI sounds when I launched, because CMS was not detected.

Maybe I gotta go try this in DOS on a computer with a working PC speaker and compare the sound...

Reply 24 of 88, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

o5dhud.jpg

I implemented "PIT mode 1" so Star Control PC speaker music works.

I also fixed (some of the) clicking in Bane of the Cosmic forge. It's very late, so I'll post my modifications and a Windows binary tomorrow or soon after.

edit: deleted dead link D:

Last edited by ripa on 2015-08-04, 20:35. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 25 of 88, by Deniz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, sweet.

Well, the song doesn't sound that different from other renditions I heard with different sound settings.
What would make the most difference is to hear the battle sounds (e.g. earthling missile, vux laser, chenjesu crystal shard...)

Reply 26 of 88, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See attached ZIP file for a Windows executable and changed source files. I used svn rv3742 as a base. I didn't bother finding all the libraries, so the binary doesn't support networking, image capturing, etc.

In addition to StarCon, I tested this in Keen 1, Secret Agent, Supaplex, Monkey Island 1, Prince 1, Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Digger, so nothing should be broken.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_patched.zip
    File size
    773.01 KiB
    Downloads
    340 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 88, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

To make the ideas a bit more accessible, here is a diff.

You can hear the digitized intro sound in Perestroika with the patch, although there is a high-pitch tone as well. Wizball doesn't seem to be much better, and has a constant tone that wasn't there before. Can hear the digitized sound in some Cinemaware games where you couldn't before (again with the high-pitch tone throughout), and can hear something during the sound effects in The Three Stooges, but not intelligible.

Hearing something where there was nothing before is nice progress. 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    speaker.diff
    File size
    15.53 KiB
    Downloads
    337 downloads
    File license

Reply 30 of 88, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Star Control *and* Perestroika fixed? Happy days and jubilation! (ok, that's from the wrong SC installment... get my drift though)

Will try some testing later - thanks to the "rip*" username contingent for continued and demonstrated awesomeness ;)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 31 of 88, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Wizball doesn't seem to be much better, and has a constant tone that wasn't there before.

wizball's music sounds best with about 460 cycles i think. And that constant tone looks to be the last note being played constantly untill next sfx. Same constant note problem in TV Sports Baseball.

Reply 33 of 88, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's another revision. This one fixes Keen 1's sounds like NY00123s patch without breaking Monkey Island or Digger. Hard Drivin 2 motor sound now has a buzz, but it drowns out everything else. I need to investigate that more. A recording of Hard Drivin' 2's motor buzz from a real PC would be helpful.

Also, Hard Drivin 2 intro tune works if you use normal core and not dynamic core - dynamic core seems to change the timing of the port writes that affect the pc speaker.

Perestroika's whine is probably intentional. Games that use pulse width modulation with pc speaker suffer from whine if the carrier frequency is too low. Perestroika's seems to be around 9.5 kHz, which is clearly audible. How audible it is with a real spaker depends on the speaker's frequency response. Theoretically, by setting a lower "pcrate" in dosbox.conf you should be able to eliminate the whine (in this case, 16000 or less should eliminate frequencies above 8KHz). However, I need to implement proper filtering to the pc speaker code in order for that to be effective.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_patched2.zip
    File size
    773.63 KiB
    Downloads
    293 downloads
    File license

Reply 34 of 88, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Lowering pcrate helps Perestroika a great deal, but with Wizball the "whine" only becomes lower in pitch. Not sure, but I think both are using pulse widths. Would a low-pass filter make sense?

The digitized sound in 3 Stooges is much more audible, but still garbled. Please check out the speaker sound in Battle Bugs (digitized voice in mission briefings) if you get a chance -- not broken by your changes, though.

Very nice work, ripa. It's great to see (and hear) the speaker emulation improvements.

Reply 35 of 88, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The speaker sfx in the EGA version of Battle Chess isn't working; but the VGA version still works. Note that the EGA version only has sfx for battles; the VGA version also has sfx for movement.

Some ancient text-mode intros by the demoscene group Sorcerers have speaker sound that doesn't work. Pouet.net links: Atom, Nope

These cases might be due to unimplemented modes commented upon in the patched source, but thought I'd point them out because they work with official source.

Reply 36 of 88, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I should really say thanks for the patch in its current form!
Sound effects appear to be proper in Keen1, Keen4, DN1 and DDave. Digger clone sounds aren't broken either (at least in the very first level).
I have also tested digitized sounds in Ken's Labyrinth (as generated on a PC Speaker) and they seem to work, as on vanilla DOSBox v0.74.

Regarding the high-pitch tone, I do remember hearing that in one random game at least, during a digitized speech actually being outputted from that little speaker (-_-). As hinted here, there may not be any specific "genuine" behavior regarding the tone (e.g. if you hear one or not).

Reply 37 of 88, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hard_drivin_2_title.mp3
from a 286 pc. On a 386 the music is faster.

Attachments

• Filename
    hard_drivin_2_title.mp3
    File size
    2.29 MiB
    Downloads
    283 downloads
    File license

Reply 38 of 88, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lowering pcrate helps Perestroika a great deal, but with Wizball the "whine" only becomes lower in pitch. Not sure, but I think both are using pulse widths. Would a low-pass filter make sense?

A better low-pass filter would work. I'll try implementing this at some point.

The digitized sound in 3 Stooges is much more audible, but still garbled. Please check out the speaker sound in Battle Bugs (dig […]
Show full quote

The digitized sound in 3 Stooges is much more audible, but still garbled. Please check out the speaker sound in Battle Bugs (digitized voice in mission briefings) if you get a chance -- not broken by your changes, though.

The speaker sfx in the EGA version of Battle Chess isn't working; but the VGA version still works. Note that the EGA version only has sfx for battles; the VGA version also has sfx for movement.

Some ancient text-mode intros by the demoscene group Sorcerers have speaker sound that doesn't work. Pouet.net links: Atom, Nope

These cases might be due to unimplemented modes commented upon in the patched source, but thought I'd point them out because they work with official source.

I'll put them in my backlog.

hard_drivin_2_title.mp3
from a 286 pc. On a 386 the music is faster.

Thanks! Could you record the driving sound too? If possible, have the microphone a bit further away to prevent clipping.

Reply 39 of 88, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have noticed there are also some silent engine sounds when you are not driving (before you click the mouse to start driving): check the silent_loud file.
I wonder is it a game bug that the motor sound is so silent when not driving?
Although when you click the mouse to start and are not driving there is a loud engine too even when not moving so maybe the silent one is something we shouldn't hear.
Also there are some silent sounds when in the menu when selecting tracks/gears (so this could confirm we shouldn't hear it too).

BTW I am not using a microphone but i am touching one of pcspeaker's wire (actually the screw used to connect the wire to the speaker) with a minijack tip connected to "line in" in my modern computer. So the quality should be very good.
I just silented the recording volume in the mixer to get rid of the clipping. (it is set to almost zero (16 tapps of up arrow from the minimum (the slider moved up by two pixels only) )
When recording the silent_loud file i set the volume slider to max so that the silent sounds are recorded too.

Attachments

• Filename
    hd2_engine.mp3
    File size
    215.24 KiB
    Downloads
    264 downloads
    File comment
    engine sound when not driving
    File license
  • Filename