VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 61 of 88, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripa wrote:

NOTE FOR NOT DEVELOPERS: The exe file you provide requires some dll files to run. Installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) will solve that.

I tried building a version that doesn't require the user to install a new version of MSVCRT, but it didn't work. I wonder how the official Dosbox build gets around that...

What did it spew? If you don't want to use Mingw, you need to rebuild everything (libraries and such) to use Multithreaded (/MT) instead of Multithreaded DLL (/MD). If using Visual C++, under the 2010 version: C/C++ -> Code Generation -> Runtime library

Reply 62 of 88, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
1>msvcrt.lib(ti_inst.obj) : error LNK2005: "private: __thiscall type_info::type_info(class type_info const &)" (??0type_info@@AAE@ABV0@@Z) already defined in LIBCMT.lib(typinfo.obj)
1>msvcrt.lib(ti_inst.obj) : error LNK2005: "private: class type_info & __thiscall type_info::operator=(class type_info const &)" (??4type_info@@AAEAAV0@ABV0@@Z) already defined in LIBCMT.lib(typinfo.obj)
1>msvcrt.lib(MSVCR100.dll) : error LNK2005: _isspace already defined in LIBCMT.lib(_ctype.obj)
1>msvcrt.lib(MSVCR100.dll) : error LNK2005: _fprintf already defined in LIBCMT.lib(fprintf.obj)

I guess all the other libraries (SDL etc.) would need to be built with static c runtime library too.

Reply 64 of 88, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The square waves in the 3rd patch appear to be above center (waveform has a DC bias); but are centered in this latest patch. Base speaker volume seems a bit high now compared to the other mixer inputs.

I hear vibrato in the Miner 2049er title music that isn't present with official source; which is interesting, but don't know if it's supposed to be that way.

Reply 65 of 88, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripa wrote:

I guess all the other libraries (SDL etc.) would need to be built with static c runtime library too.

There's an sf project called sdl-static that should have most things you need in either prebuilt or at least an easy to build shape. The resulting DOSBox binary will run without needing any external DLLs at all (other than the normal Windows core DLLs of course).

tearex

Reply 68 of 88, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As an excuse for bumping this thread, I am attaching a patch against revision 3833 that should bring the functionality from dosbox_patched4.zip. This is basically what you get by downloading r3833 first, then replacing four source files with ones from the zip archive and finally (re)updating the years in the copyright notices from 2002-2011 to 2002-2013.

Although my main interest with the patch is in games that do not seem to do any kind of digitized output from the emulated PC speaker, as I said before it is surely doing its job when it comes to such games! I basically refer here to corrections of PC speaker outputs in various games originally distributed by Apogee Software Ltd. and related, like Commander Keen 1-3 (also 4-6 up to some level) and Dangerous Dave; Oh and, say, also Overkill (aka Overkill: The Last-Planet Mega Blast), at least partially.

To the ones not familiar with what I'm talking about: Multiple successive beeps of the same frequency should sound like different beeps (once the patch is applied), rather than a longer beep.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_trunk_digi_pcspkr_20131005.diff
    File size
    22 KiB
    Downloads
    190 downloads
    File comment
    Last revision ("dosbox_patched4") as a patch against last r3833.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 69 of 88, by Kirben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately this patch seems to causes regressions in some games, any hope for further improvements?

I was trying Impossible Mission II, but the elevator barely makes a sound when using this patch. Only the MCGA version of the game seems effected, the other versions (CGA, EGA, TANDY) still seem fine.

Reply 71 of 88, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's the speaker patch updated against current SVN (r3995):

Filename
dosbox_r3995_digi_pcspkr.diff
File size
23.5 KiB
Downloads
221 downloads
File license

and for testing purposes, a debug-enabled win32 build:

Filename
dosbox_r3995_digi_pcspkr.zip
File size
2.79 MiB
Downloads
164 downloads
File license

======================

I had a look at the reported Impossible Mission II regression. All versions seem to be affected, but there *is* a difference between the MCGA executable and the others:

- with IM2_MCGA.EXE, both the footsteps and the elevator sound are replaced with silence (padded with clicks).
- with IM2_EGA.EXE, the footsteps are still click-padded silence. The elevator makes a sound, but not the same sound as in unpatched DOSBox.

Perhaps the difference has to do with the fact that the MCGA version continuously messes with the timer, while the other versions do not. It does this over and over:

PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 72.5780 Hz mode 3

Some captures for demonstration:

Filename
IM2_comparison_WAV.zip
File size
500.02 KiB
Downloads
164 downloads
File license
IM2_comparison_WAV.png
Filename
IM2_comparison_WAV.png
File size
36.91 KiB
Views
File license

Hope this helps. It looks like this patch generally improves accuracy in every test case I've tried, *except* this one. Are there any other regressions that anyone can see?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 74 of 88, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This video is out of date but mentions some regressions that should probably be tested against if they haven't already been addressed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBasp2kPgXI&t=2s

Reply 75 of 88, by aaronp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's definitely not perfect.

Playing CAMBOD.MOD using iplay a la this video sounds really good in dosbox-svn, but terrible with this patch.

Also does this patch make the volume louder? I'm frequently having to turn the volume down for pc speaker games.

Still, for games there are some noticeable improvements imo. For Monkey Island, I think the intro sounds more muffled on dosbox-svn. I'm not sure which is more accurate, and I'm not a sound guy so I can't really articulate the difference. 😵

Reply 76 of 88, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not perfect but 99.99% there, and much better than vanilla DOSBox.
In each MP3 attached you can hear: Real PC-Speaker (through SB16), Patched DOSBox, Vanilla DOSBox, In that order.

Thank you ripa for your excellent work, and thanks VileRancour for posting the latest diff.

HunterZ wrote:

This video is out of date but mentions some regressions that should probably be tested against if they haven't already been addressed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBasp2kPgXI&t=2s

This video mentions the regression in MI with the older NY00123 patch, the latest by ripa has fixed the regression in MI, I tested it.
I hope ripa has some strength and will left to perfect the patch even further.

@ripa, is there any updates or patch4 is the latest?
I know there are several threads with several patches, but your patch4 appears to be the most accurate with the least regressions.

Attachments

• Filename
    Duke Nukem Start.mp3
    File size
    160.14 KiB
    Downloads
    209 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Keen Jump2.mp3
    File size
    33.12 KiB
    Downloads
    191 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Keen Jump1.mp3
    File size
    40.02 KiB
    Downloads
    194 downloads
    File license

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 77 of 88, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry, but I haven't and don't have the time to work on this further. Maybe some day...

Thanks for those recordings - I'm very happy that the latest patch sounds the same as the real thing xD

Reply 78 of 88, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripa wrote:

Thanks for those recordings - I'm very happy that the latest patch sounds the same as the real thing xD

Your patch is practically indistinguishable from the real PC-Speaker, that sure is an amazing work ripa.
Thank You!

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 79 of 88, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

James-F pointed me towards this thread and the patch and asked me if I could integrate it in my enhanced DOSBox builds. And so I did, so starting from Version r4003 PC speaker playback should sound better using my enhanced builds (see signature). 😀

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)