VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 140 of 145, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi almeath,

> The patch is meant to also work with standard (SDL1) DOSBox SVN?

It's bit-rotten since its last update here, but the work has found a home in DOSBox ECE, DOSBox-X, DOSBox Core, and DOSBox Staging.

For SVN, I'd suggest using the latest state of the patch used by ECE - it was last modified here: DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

> Also, if I am not needing to actually encode any CD audio into the respective formats, are there any baseline benefits to audio playback that are noticeable in standard DOSBox

Exactly; if you're only playing existing GoG (OGG Vorbis) encoded CD-DA tracks or mounting BIN/CUE's, then the extra codecs add no value.

> or is it just the underlying efficiency of the code that is improved?

Right; there was some mild refactoring done, but certainly nothing "make or break" in terms of performance.

Hope that helps!

--
Edit: added DOSBox-X; thanks for the reminder @Wengier!

Last edited by krcroft on 2021-04-08, 01:04. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 141 of 145, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krcroft wrote on 2021-04-04, 15:39:

Hope that helps!

It definitely does, thanks for the update.

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS

Reply 142 of 145, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krcroft wrote on 2021-04-04, 15:39:

It's bit-rotten since its last update here, but the work has found a home in ECE and Staging, like you've mentioned.

And it has found a home in DOSBox-X too (of course - thanks to your work). It is already supported by all major forks by now.

Reply 143 of 145, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a patch for Wing Commander Privateer and the ol OriginFX games?

i don't think no one at WCNews did that yet, it would be interesting to see GoG or stock Privateer with high quality ripped audio instead of MIDI soundtracks.

Reply 144 of 145, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deffnator wrote on 2021-07-24, 19:24:

it would be interesting to see GoG or stock Privateer with high quality ripped audio instead of MIDI soundtracks.

Hi Deffnator, I don't think Privateer's CDROM ever came with CDDA tracks; so your highest-quality option is to use MIDI with you favourite SoundFont.

Reply 145 of 145, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krcroft wrote on 2021-07-24, 22:08:
Deffnator wrote on 2021-07-24, 19:24:

it would be interesting to see GoG or stock Privateer with high quality ripped audio instead of MIDI soundtracks.

Hi Deffnator, I don't think Privateer's CDROM ever came with CDDA tracks; so your highest-quality option is to use MIDI with you favourite SoundFont.

i know, but i was thinking here of the idea of dosbox replacing the MIDI soundtrack with CD/External files audio by wrapping using roland or Soundblaster with dosbox loading the external music with the game's midi filenames.
i came to think of it while looking Warcraft 1 DOS vs MAC ports.