Pentium Pro VRM

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2021-07-28, 18:46:

Hold up.. cancel order -- not sure if I tied in the V output.. 1 sec.

its a little late now. 😜

it was only $37, because I picked 2oz copper. If the correction can be done after the fact thats fine. I was fully planning on testing, giving feedback, and once there is a "final" version. I planned on making about 200 of them and putting them on ebay. Looking at the pricing for parts, making 200 costs about 25% more than making 50. So I might as well fell a few to pay for the dozen or so I want to keep for myself.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21 of 32, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

question about the switched one.

Does it ignore the processor lines completely? and if so, would it be better to put the jumpers on the top where you don't have to pull the module to change the voltage?

Also, what software are you using?

Reply 22 of 32, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using KiCAD. For the correction, the Vout of the caps on the left need to tie to Vccp of the connector. Fixing it with wires is correctable since they are easy to solder through-hole.

As for the jumpers, it wouldn't be very easy to move them, since you need a resistor array and tie into 5V, then go to the lower side of the HIP6008 chip. There are a lot of copper pours in other areas. Unless you made the whole VRM taller, it wouldn't be worth moving it.

And yes, with the manual VID jumpers, it ignores the CPU. I completely disconnected them from the main connector.

Last edited by wiretap on 2021-07-28, 19:55. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 24 of 32, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll experiment with it. P-pro chips are my favorite and I'd love to have an overclockers dream regulator with solid caps, aux power in and selectable voltages.

Normally, I HATE the idea of overclocking retro parts, but I feel there is a bit of wiggle room to do some limited experimentation. If giving your chip and extra .1 or .2 of a volt coupled with a quality converter with solid caps, would be a super fun project. I might even add a shunt resistor and a couple test points so you can monitor current usage. ^.^

you have to admit, there are a lot of possibilities with this design.

Also, if you order from JLCPCB, these boards are $2 for 5 of them. I'd recommend that since it is still an unproven prototype.

I got 10 boards for $35. So It's a moot point as the order is already in. Maybe for the next batch? Also, given the current capabilities, I'd be curious about using even thicker copper. I saw options for up to 10 oz. maybe going to 3 or 4 should be easy?

Reply 25 of 32, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the copper thickness, you just choose it when you make the order. The gerber files don't specify thickness since it is all 2D design work.

I think a 4 layer board would be a good improvement and make running the ground planes and other signal traces easier. You could also easily move the VID switch to the top.

My Github

Reply 26 of 32, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yea... I jumped the gun a bit on that order.

I didnt think to check pricing on the parts before hitting the submit button.

I expected caps and other passives to be dirt cheap. And they are. the diodes/mosfet. Again, not expensive. I heard the controller chip was still available, so I just went ahead.

The connector is available on ePay. no issues there. But the HIP6008 is "available" but only if you buy a whole box/reel. That's 281 units, @ 1.07 a pop. ~$300 us.
So, to make this economical. I would need to do a big run of these. To make it more complicated, if I want more than 40 of the connectors, ebay isnt an option. There is a small stock on digikey, but the connectors run ~$7 each.

So, if I did a "run" of 275 units, with a few spares, i'm looking at $5500 worth of parts. + $600 of pcb.

I mean $6100 for ~275 units comes down to ~$22 per unit. And that is TOTALLY fair, if the labor was zero.

So unless we can get a kickstarter going, this project seems kinda dead.

Reply 27 of 32, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well it was never meant to be alive for mass production.. It was something I whipped up in 10 hours because some people may need a few. I shared the project for fun and to help others.

My Github

Reply 28 of 32, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FYI, you can get chips in a lower quantity here: https://www.rocelec.com/part/HARHIP6008CB

For individual chips, they can be found on Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress (not recommended), etc.

My Github

Reply 29 of 32, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i'm not complaining, I'm just at a decision point.

do I want to try to move forward, or do I start from scratch with a new design.

I mean, the $7 connector is little more than a 2.54 header with wide legs for stability. A simple 40-pin right angle header is an order of magnitude cheaper.

Right now, i'm looking at my other vregs, and checking to see if their control chips are available at low quantities

RC5042M (this is in OP's pic)
RC5040M
HIP6004bcb
UCC3882DW-1
LX1661CD LX1670CD (combo)

edit* That website claims you need to buy 121 as a minimum.

I also didnt think of aliexpress, i'm going to try that!

Reply 30 of 32, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't recommend Aliexpress, but they have them. They're likely dead, factory rejects, or scraped off an old VRM. Use Aliexpress as a last resort.

UTsource is another decent supplier of these chips. I've always received legit new old stock from them.

My Github

Reply 32 of 32, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, I have several of those, it sounds like there are other problems.

I did get all the parts in to build some new ones, but life and school have conspired to eliminate any semblance of "free time".

Soon. I hope.