VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up a TI486SXL/40 CPU and it came with an interposer board. I suspected it was for cache coherency. I did not use the board, because motherboard I used already had support for a TI486SXL/40. I just did a build with a CH-386-33A/40A motherboard with an Opti 82C391B chipset and 128KB cache. I decided to try the interposer board in this system to see what it would do. I am currently using a 486DCL/40 CPU with no options enabled for A20M, BARB or FLUSH input and I have had absolutely no cache coherency issues. I would be interested if anyone has any information about this interposer board.

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0153.JPG
    File size
    1.72 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Interposer board bottom view
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0151.JPG
    File size
    1.71 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Interposer board top view
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by jasa1063 on 2021-09-13, 17:49. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interposer is probably the term that would get more recognition.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks suspiciously like the Evergreen one shown here:
https://www.ardent-tool.com/CPU/386_upgrade.html#386DX2+

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cyrix had a kit that came with one of these too. It was called the 486DRu. The CPU was a regular DLC-40, but their interposer added clock doubling circuitry in addition to the cache coherency.
I guess since you already powered yours on, it probably doesn't clock double since I assume you had your motherboard set for a 40MHz CPU, and doubling to 80MHz would cause the system to not boot up.

I STRONGLY recommend you buy a PGA132 socket to put between this interposer and the socket on your motherboard. These upgrades are known to have fragile pins, and it's easy to snap them off by installing and removing the module too many times.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 5, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed how fragile the pins were and decided to removed the interposer. I just enabled the FLUSH input and the 486DLC works fine on it's own. I am just going to hold onto the interposer for now.