VOGONS

First post, by geiger9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I printed off some of these drive rails to use in (what I think is) my IBM 5170 clone.

If I attach these to drives and insert the drives into the rightmost drive bay, it fits perfectly. If I try and put that same drive into the center bay, they won't go in. Take a look at the two pictures below. There is clearly a different rail system for the center drive bay but I have no idea what to look for. I can't put my HDD and CD-ROM in the rightmost drive bay because the IDE cable is not long enough. I'd rather not have to find some hacky solution to this and I'd rather keep the HDD and CD-ROM in the center bay but I also don't want them loose in there.

Can anyone help me on what to do here? Also, there are some stand offs that screw into the case (you can see a gold-ish one in the second picture) and then you attach these things to the stand offs so that your drive does not come out of the bay. I need to buy several of these. What are they called and what size are they?

SSxSyg9l.jpg

KRag4Yql.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have encounters at least 5 incompatible drive rails. If you are 3D printing, you may have to design your own. I have never see the retaining brackets screwed in via a stand-off before. They should be flush with the metal. I have a few old drive rails and in the past i have had to cut some to fit different cases. Some metal ones have a bend at the front and an integrated retaining lug. I can't see from the picture how they don't fit. Can you show the drives installed if possible or elaborate?

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 2 of 9, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
geiger9 wrote on 2021-09-14, 18:37:

... the IDE cable is not long enough.

Take another cable lying around.
If it has more than 40 wires, leave only 40 wires.
If you haven't such in your storage, a 40 wire cable costs pennies/meter.
Take off the connectors from some other surplus cable(s) and press them on.
Easily done with a vice.

Or buy a longer one.
What is so difficult with this?

Reply 3 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen the screws at the front in two types, one uses regular rails and the screws are for a blanking plate that's removable/replaceable and stops your HDDs installed in those bays from making a bid for freedom or something. And the second is a full 'nother cage that goes around the drive, has rails built in and screws in place.

Not to start another Authenti-schism but really you only need your drives anchored somehow, there's not really any magic benefit to original rails... I shouldn't say that, I've maybe got dozens of random rails lost somewhere atm and when I sell up my extras they're gonna be $25 a piece because of their powerful magic benefits 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What size is the hdd 8", 5.25", 3.5" or 2.5". It should be easy enough to make an adapter bracket/cage to fit, Small Tupperware containers,U and square shaped plastic rails/rods/tubing. You have got a ton of choices if you use you imagination...😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 9, by geiger9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mR_Slug wrote on 2021-09-14, 19:10:

I have encounters at least 5 incompatible drive rails. If you are 3D printing, you may have to design your own. I have never see the retaining brackets screwed in via a stand-off before. They should be flush with the metal. I have a few old drive rails and in the past i have had to cut some to fit different cases. Some metal ones have a bend at the front and an integrated retaining lug. I can't see from the picture how they don't fit. Can you show the drives installed if possible or elaborate?

The drive will insert into the rightmost drive bay with no issue. It slides in an out as you would expect and it would stay in if I had the retaining bracket.

The center drive bay looks to be expecting a different a different kind of rail. At least, that's what it appears. The center drive bay has these....indents.... or something in the bay where it seems a rail would go. When I try to insert the same drive into this drive bay, it just doesn't go in. The rails make the width too big. Have you heard of requiring two different kinds of drive rails in one case before?

Reply 6 of 9, by geiger9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-14, 22:14:

I've seen the screws at the front in two types, one uses regular rails and the screws are for a blanking plate that's removable/replaceable and stops your HDDs installed in those bays from making a bid for freedom or something. And the second is a full 'nother cage that goes around the drive, has rails built in and screws in place.

Not to start another Authenti-schism but really you only need your drives anchored somehow, there's not really any magic benefit to original rails... I shouldn't say that, I've maybe got dozens of random rails lost somewhere atm and when I sell up my extras they're gonna be $25 a piece because of their powerful magic benefits 🤣

Oh yeah, I'm not looking for the original pieces for this case - just something close enough. But I also don't want to go too far and start hacking up bits and pieces to frankenstein these drives into place either.

Reply 7 of 9, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
geiger9 wrote on 2021-09-15, 23:44:

The rails make the width too big. Have you heard of requiring two different kinds of drive rails in one case before?

I think it is unlikely it was designed with two drive rails in mind. But It could be the original rails were loose on the right side:-)

It may be the original rails were metal with integrated 'ears' and slightly thinner. They were loose in the right side until they were screwed in. Could be the right side cage got knocked and became fatter. Could also be manufacturing differences in the drives themselves. It is hard to say.

If you try to source different rails, you will probably end up buying lots of them. I have sanded them thinner before, and packed them out with red Mylar washers or paper. Best way with paper is to fold it over a few times and jam it between the case and rail. Then when you have the right thickness, take it out and put it between the drive and rail screwing thru it. A more professional approach would be to use shim metal. The only options I see for you is sanding or sourcing different rails.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 8 of 9, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
geiger9 wrote on 2021-09-15, 23:44:

The center drive bay looks to be expecting a different a different kind of rail. At least, that's what it appears. The center drive bay has these....indents.... or something in the bay where it seems a rail would go. When I try to insert the same drive into this drive bay, it just doesn't go in. The rails make the width too big. Have you heard of requiring two different kinds of drive rails in one case before?

Just FYI, the center rail is intended only for use with 5.25 FH HDs.
The indents are not original, do not exist in the 5170.

Reply 9 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

google Jack Screw Standoff

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port