VOGONS

First post, by irdc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I’ve got a TI486DLC/E-40GE in a Biostar MB-1333UCQ motherboard. However, it runs kinda hot. Also, it occasionally crashes (after writing garbage to the screen). On other occasions it seems perfectly stable; it even survived a nightly memtest86-session without issue.

Now, I’m not sure if these issues are related. The crashing could also be related to substandard cache memory; when I was gifted the board it was already in it as far as I can remember (it’s been in my “collection”, ie a cardbord box filled with various and sundry items, for quite some years). Also, the 5V line from the PSU I’ve got the whole rig attached to seems somewhat unstable (and that on a slow analogue multimeter).

But the heat has me worried. Even clocked down to 33 MHz and with a heatsink from a Cyrix 5x86 attached (with some no-name thermal paste in between), it gets uncomfortably hot to the touch. I’m not familiar with the 486DLC-line from back in the day (having gone directly from a hand-me-down 8088 to a 486DX2), so I gotta ask: is this normal?

Edit: corrected CPU type

Reply 1 of 5, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd put an active h/s (one with a fan) and retry.

Post pics in high res when possible.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 2 of 5, by irdc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dove into the reference guide for the TI486-series for a bit. The TI486DLC/E-40GA is specified for a maximum supply current of 700 mA (page 5-9, 206). For comparison, a 40 MHz Am386DX is specified to draw a maximum of 400 mA (page 105).

Sadly, I don't have the proper tools to check the current draw of the CPU or motherboard, so I thought I'd do some checking via the thermodynamics side of it instead.

I'm assuming the current the CPU sources on its I/O pins to be negligible and everything to be dissipated inside the CPU package, resulting in the CPU having to dissipate 0,7A × 5V = 3,5 Watt. In addition I'm assuming the CPU to be made entirely from material which has a heat capacity similar to sand, being c = 0,835 J/(g × K), and guesstimating to have mass m = 15 grams.

Seeing as c = Q ÷ (m × ΔT), with Q = 3,5 Watt = 3,5 J/s, this would then result in temperature change ΔT = 3,5 ÷ 0,835 ÷ 15 = 0,28 K/s. Assuming a room temperature of 23 ℃, an "uncomfortably hot" temperature of 50 ℃ and discounting any heat loss to the outside, the CPU would become uncomfortably hot in time t = (50 - 23) ÷ 0,28 = 96 seconds.

So if my impromptu math is correct, a TI486DLC getting this hot is probably entirely normal.

Edit: typo's.

Reply 3 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's consistently a few programs giving you crashes, you can flip the L1 on and off to see if it makes a difference https://www.philscomputerlab.com/cyrix-486dlc.html

Otherwise, you can't really go wrong in keeping a CPU cool, passive cooling solutions do have to generate a bit of delta T before convection really gets moving.

As long as you have 4MB+ RAM, Doom is a quite reliable stability test up to PIII/K7 class, loop the demo for a bit.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 5, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah it does get toasty in there. I had to install a heatsink and fan on mine just for peace of mind. However, crashes might not be heat related. There was another thread a while ago where we discussed different 486DLC tweaks and issues with L2 cache chips not being up to snuff.

Reply 5 of 5, by irdc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've added a heatsink + fan combo to the CPU (which has the added bonus of providing some airflow over the math coprocessor and memory as well), and I've yet to see another crash.

As requested, I've attached some high-resolution pictures for future reference. As you can see this board was plagued by the infamous leaky Varta problem; I've actually had to desolder, clean out and resolder the keyboard connector to get everything cleaned. Luckily the rest of the board wasn't affected.