VOGONS

DMA Sharing

Topic actions

First post, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've noticed that my sound blaster pro 2 has a jumper for DMA sharing.
Does this actually work appreciably well at all?

My cards have been experiencing some conflicts and if this was a magic bullet solution I'd enable it for sure.
So can anyone tell me if they use it ...say for getting two cards to not fight each other.

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-mult … R-PRO-2-CT.html
JP11
Disabled
Pins 1 & 2 closed

Enabled
Pins 2 & 3 closed
Note:This jumper allows the SB Pro to share a DMA channel with another device.

20210725_012011.jpg
Filename
20210725_012011.jpg
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MediaVision PAS/PAS16/Studios have a similar jumper so that you can use two cards with same DMA and yes it works with those so should work with a SB Pro but have never tried it.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never tried it either with my SB Pro 2, but from what I read here it doesn't work well.

Try using different DMA for the other sound cards if possible, I recall that you had set the GUS to DMA 7 which should not pose any conflict with the SB Pro 2. Also disable any CD drive that requires DMA to work from any sound card if you are using the motherboard IDE for this purpose.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 8, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-27, 13:56:

Never tried it either with my SB Pro 2, but from what I read here it doesn't work well.

Try using different DMA for the other sound cards if possible, I recall that you had set the GUS to DMA 7 which should not pose any conflict with the SB Pro 2. Also disable any CD drive that requires DMA to work from any sound card if you are using the motherboard IDE for this purpose.

Yeah so I've been trying to run shadow warrior in 3dfx mode , which I know is crap vs software but I'm just using it for testing conflicts.

So here are the current results:

So with default sbpro2 settings (220,5,1 no sharing) I got a blue screen and Shadow warrior would wig out on boot , give me a blue screen and
then would start playing gravis samples at random so the card was basically freaking out.

I tried using DMA sharing but all I got was a black screen in shadow warrior but the audio didn't wig out at least.

Tomb raider finally didn't lock up after selecting the gravis option in the setup but the gravis wouldn't play any sound.

I then disabled sharing and just changed the pro 2's DMA to 3 and and then got a blue screen just like when I had the default DMA 1 and no sharing.

After disconnecting the cdrom drive just to check for any conflicts there I got a green screen instead.

So I'm not sure what the hell's the cards problem is , its really being a massive pain in the ass , no idea why gravis didn't make the card fully jumpered , would have been less of a pain that way.

Reply 4 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AppleSauce wrote on 2021-09-28, 05:45:

So I'm not sure what the hell's the cards problem is , its really being a massive pain in the ass , no idea why gravis didn't make the card fully jumpered , would have been less of a pain that way.

The problem would be due to using it on a Socket 7 computer (it's not typical due to slow DSP response but possible installing them on a faster computer). In my case I had to increase the "8-bit I/O Recovery Time" at least to 6 and disable both "Passive Release" and "Delayed Transaction" on the BIOS setup for it to work properly, try changing these options if available.

Early Creative cards were fully configurable by jumpers, later SB16 and AWE cards were software configurable like the GUS or PnP.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 8, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-28, 12:00:
AppleSauce wrote on 2021-09-28, 05:45:

The problem would be due to using it on a Socket 7 computer (it's not typical due to slow DSP response but possible installing them on a faster computer). In my case I had to increase the "8-bit I/O Recovery Time" at least to 6 and disable both "Passive Release" and "Delayed Transaction" on the BIOS setup for it to work properly, try changing these options if available.

Early Creative cards were fully configurable by jumpers, later SB16 and AWE cards were software configurable like the GUS or PnP.

Okay ill give it a go , but its a bit strange considering this primax gus clone is from 1995 and the msi motherboard is from 1997 so the difference is only about 2 years.
Meanwhile the sound blaster pro 2 is from circa 1992 and hasn't really given me any problems.

Reply 6 of 8, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also here's a picture of what I kept the jumpers or set the jumpers to just in case anyone sees a potential route of conflict.

20210910_191114 (2).jpg
Filename
20210910_191114 (2).jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license

this is an older picture before I moved the jumpers so I've noted down what I moved btw.

Gravis address should be 240

The IDE interface should be set to disabled.
CD IRQ should be 10 which is default
CD DMA should be set to 0
CD address should be 310
CD type should be disabled

J5 and J6 I have no idea what it does , I don't think the back of the card says anything about the 2 jumpers
apart from them being in the default position.

If the jumpers are set to disabled I don't think the cd interface should cause any problems but maybe it is?
Maybe the IRQ is getting in the way of something?

Reply 7 of 8, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also here's what I could find on what's being hogged up by the system.
It just shows reserved and not what's actually using it but hopefully it helps

20210928_183445.jpg
Filename
20210928_183445.jpg
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license
20210928_183450.jpg
Filename
20210928_183450.jpg
File size
1.76 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 8 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Symantec System Information doesn't help too much, but if you hadn't disabled LPT1 and LPT2 do it. On the BIOS set IRQ5 and IRQ7 to "Legacy ISA" so the other devices won't attempt to use them.

Also try Navrátil Software System Information (NSSI), which has better information (except when multiple sound cards are connected) about the resources used. It won't display an IRQ list though.