VOGONS

First post, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Inspired from a Motherboard modding -- Replacing frequency generators I'm writing about my experience with one of my 486 boards.
I wanted to check whether a 486 board is able to change clock frequency when it is fully operating without crashing the system.

It worked with my ASUS PVI-486SP3.
It has an external VT8228 clock generator.
I have mounted a 3 contact turbo switch on JP26.
It allows to change the clock frequency on the fly from 40 MHz to 25 MHz when the board is running without doing a reset or power cycle and without a crash.
It seems like the VT8228 is changing the clock so soft or slow that even a running 4x clocked AMD 5x86 133 can be switched from 160 MHz (overclocked) to 100 MHz and vice versa.

Have you ever experienced this behaviour in one of your motherboards?
(When you try this, do it at your own risk.)

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is very interesting. Have never tried on a 486, Thank You !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can change the frequency all around on my Intel 486 board when it is running as well. With some jumper trickery, I can get a Cyrix 5x86-120 all the way down to ~2Mhz.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-09, 02:36:

I can change the frequency all around on my Intel 486 board when it is running as well. With some jumper trickery, I can get a Cyrix 5x86-120 all the way down to ~2Mhz.

Which board do you have?