VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

since my pentium cannot keep the time (but the rest of the computer works perfectly, tested it has no other kind of problems) and since I only want perfect machines in my collection I think I will sell it (at a very economic).

Currently I am left with a 486 (which can work from 486sx16Mhz to 486DX4-100Mhz) and an acer laptop (aspire 5735Z with T3400 CPU) with a dual core pentium. Laptop came out with a vista but I guess xp can also work perfectly.

With these two machines it is possible to largely cover the lower part with the 486 with ISA and VLB and the upper part with the Pentium T3400 and Windows XP?. It has been said many times here on the forum that games for win 95/98 also work well on XP. The only preblem perhaps would be the integrated graphics card (4500M).

What do you think?

Reply 1 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Modern" laptops are not flexible enough for Windows 9x Although you're comparing apples to oranges. That Pentium can use DOSBox and run circles around 486, specifically in some heavy Build games like Blood.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 7, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What motherboard is your Pentium? It likely needs a new coin cell battery or the Dallas clock replacement.

Not all Win9X games work well on XP, and later-era DOS games will run much better with a more powerful machine.

You could just use DOSBOX, but then why have the 486 either?

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends on the games more then anything else.
If your games are known to have good XP compatibility and aren't very demanding on the GPU, RTS's for example then no need of a 9x box.
3D titles may be held back by the onboard GPU, only one way to find out, try!

Late dos is where I also see biggest gap in this setup. but if your 486 plays all your dos games fine then no problem either

Reply 7 of 7, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It all depends on the games you want to play, but my feelings is that a Pentium 200/233MMX or a K6-2/3 is able to handle most of the last speed sensitive games. POD having an upper limit of a 233MMX is an example. The MMX and K6-2/3 also allow downclocking to larger ranges than what you can get from a 486 66 or 100.

For my personal machines I have a P233MMX for DOS, Athlon64 with Win98, and i5 for XP. I've been able to play everything I've wanted.