VOGONS

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this soundcard because I was interest in the concept of pci-pci (sblink).

IMG_20211031_110855.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211031_110855.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20211031_110901.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211031_110901.jpg
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It seems to work but when I connect my Sennheiser headphones, the card is extremely noisy (as soon as computer starts up). When windows boots, the volume is extremely loud. I had to turn it down to <5% of the volume slider in windows 98se to get it to a reasonable level.

The noise is mostly white noise but also some digital beeps can be heard.

I have attempted to clean the card and the connectors, removed all other cards from the machine and tried different PCI slots. disconnected cd sound cable and the pci-pci cable. The motherboard I'm using is a msi6119 (440bx).

I don't know much about sound cards tbh, but I wonder if this can be due to bad capacitors?

BR J

Reply 3 of 17, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You said when it's in Windows you need to put it at 5% volume to be at a reasonable level. That means there's some massive amplification going on. Testing the mixer can be done in minutes for free, so I'm not sure why you don't want to at least try it.

You don't list what headphones you are using, just the brand. Do they have their own amp? Try connecting to the line-out rather than speaker output.

Reply 5 of 17, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wireless mice can cause noise if you use one.
remedy for that is a extension cable to move it away 😀

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-10-31, 15:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 17, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This card appears to have a speaker amp on it that cannot be bypassed with jumpers like many other cards allow. That's where the excessive levels and noise come from.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 17, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zerthimon wrote on 2021-10-31, 15:07:
SScorpio wrote on 2021-10-31, 14:39:

Try connecting to the line-out rather than speaker output.

^^
This.

Sorry but there is no line out. 🙁

Reply 8 of 17, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2021-10-31, 15:13:

This card appears to have a speaker amp on it that cannot be bypassed with jumpers like many other cards allow. That's where the excessive levels and noise come from.

I see. Could this be done by rewiring mods?

Reply 9 of 17, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, it certainly is possible. The amp chip's inputs and outputs need to be identified, then this sort of thing done :

New Canvas.png
Filename
New Canvas.png
File size
72.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 11 of 17, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was wrong when I said the chip is well documented, it is not.

For some reason my multimeter's continuity measurement mode is malfunctioning (no beeps) so I haven't been able to investigate this further.

Reply 13 of 17, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2021-11-02, 21:41:

So uh, why not just connect a 3.5mm jack to pins 7 & 8 on the amp chip for left and right, then a ground from anywhere on the board?

Oh, hmm. This is not obvious to me. Could you explain how you realized that pin 7&8 are the ones? 😀

Reply 14 of 17, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a datasheet for the KA2206 amplifier (e.g. https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/v … UNG/KA2206.html ) which has pins 7&8 being the inputs for channel 1&2. So those are probably line-out, with pins 2&12 being the speaker out.

Reply 16 of 17, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oops, didn't spot that I posted a link to the KA22066, rather than the KA2206. This is probably a better bet: https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/v … ETC/KA2206.html

Looks like they can come in 2 different packages, one with pins 4&5 and 12&13 joined together as a single pin, and one as a normal 16 pin dip. The 2206 datasheet (or at least one I looked at) doesn't even count them as pin numbers and has inputs on 5&8, which I think is pins 7 & 10 on the dip package. I'd guess the C is for the C version and the D for the DIP package. If your multimeter is still working for measuring resistance then you might be able to try tracing the amp output pins (2&15?) to the output capacitors and then to the 3.5mm socket.

Reply 17 of 17, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the schematics, I could not find them myself for some reason. Sadly my multimeter can't measure a known resistor value so I don't trust it anymore.. I will have to put this fix on hold until I get a new one.