VOGONS

First post, by StarquestMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A while back I had started this post Fixing a basket case Dell 466/L where I needed some help troubleshooting a Dell 466/L motherboard that appeared to have been stored at the bottom of a lake since it was new in 1994. The computer was then infested by mice for good measure before being bought by me for a hefty price on ebay where it was then shipped with very little padding and handled by a bunch of apes before arriving at my door with a broken and sheared off faceplate....how nice!

Any sane person would have sent the thing back for a full refund, but its me we are talking about 🤣.

The machine had all the options I was looking for, a 486, both 5.25 and 3.5 inch floppy, a CD drive (even a period correct Creative one!), and a soundblaster 16 (or so I thought) and to top it all off it was made the day I was born in early '94 so I kinda felt bad for it and thought I could repair it!

I got good tips on the other post but got busy and didn't get back to working on the computer for a while.

ended up accidentally destroying the motherboard when i tried removing one of the corroded ICs with a heat gun. my hand slipped when the chip came lose and I accidentally knocked some nearby SMD passive components loose...Oh well! i think the mobo was a gonner anyway.

After spending a couple hours on Ebay I found a very similar motherboard in the UK and had it shipped over. once installed it came right to life!

I was able to play around in the bios and could almost boot from the HDD but the screen goes blank after installing the mouse driver, it seems to boot fine from a floppy though.

So now that the thing isn't totally dead like it was I need to locate some parts to finish up or at least make complete this machine.

First, the i486 DX2 gets super hot. im not sure that these require a heatsink but it would sure make me feel a lot better having one. I have seen pictures of a couple different ones that these came with but not all of these seem to have them, I would like the stock dell one that is long and flat since it is a horizontal desktop form factor and a regular tower style might be too tall and interfere with the expansion slots plus it would need to be able to clip onto the CPU since the socket does not have the mounting ears.

next I need a pair of drive mounting rails to keep my cd drive locked in place, the markings on the ones for the stock floppy drive are Dell part #25102 Rev A02. ill post some pictures but they are beige and have locking tabs on the front end. the next things are mostly wish list things that I really want to buy but are not must haves per say.

I would like the Dell vram module that adds 512k to the on board 512k for 1 meg of video memory and the cache upgrade daughterboard but I don't know how common they are. I know of a few vram modules online but cant find a cache module and the heatsink/heatspreader and drive rails I cant find anywhere.

If anyone has a parts machine with these or knows where I can find them I would be very interested. Eventually I would like to get a stock keyboard and mouse but that will be for another day. here is a summarized list:

Heatsink/Heat spreader w/mounting clip
Drive mounting rails
Vram upgrade
Cache upgrade

https://imgur.com/sfawLof
https://imgur.com/EgVMoZ6
https://imgur.com/AEVEaB9
https://imgur.com/xTieS9V
https://imgur.com/W0lOV6z
https://imgur.com/1g5ykoO

Reply 1 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should still be able to find one of those clip on Pentium/486 heatsinks on ebay or amazon for pretty cheap. As for the cache, hdd rails and vram, probably will have to set up an alert on the usual used markets using keywords and just wait for something to come along.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 6, by StarquestMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have located some of these things but ebay wants an arm and a leg for everything. I found a video ram module for around $60 (not too bad I suppose) and the proper heatsink as part of a plug in processor board for $90, although I'll keep looking to see if I can find a generic that is slim and wide enough. I did notice too that my new used motherboard has caps that are leaking now. I did find a motherboard that looks more or less identical to the original but with all tantalums and includes the vram (just realized dell calls it a jvmem) for 120 obo. I might just do that to spare the cost of sending my mobo off to be recapped and I don't even know where I would do so or what it would cost. So that might kill two birds with one stone.

My goal with this computer is for it to be my go to machine that is reliable and somewhat versatile since my other machines are either to old or new or just finicky, this would be a sort of all around unit.

Reply 4 of 6, by StarquestMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is this something you may be willing to part with or part out? If you have any of the parts I am looking for I would be very interested in buying them. Do you have pictures of the machine?

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 6, by StarquestMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-01-18, 18:34:

I have dell 486/33 that looks exactly like yours. Its not working right know. I am not sure if the problem is the PSU or motherboard but it will not power on.

I just went to send a pm to you about your dell that wont power on but it appears that I don't have enough posts in order to do so. Maybe you have the ability to send me a pm to get around this limitation? thanks!

Reply 6 of 6, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I have Optiplex 433/LE and upgraded to 486dx2-66mhz. Now bios says 466 LE. My onboard L1 and L2 cache is completely empty. It does not take 128k obviously. Can you recommend something? Or share photo of the cache? What about that riser 3 slot with isa and vlb? It should support two vlb and one isa. Is it compatible with IBM 3 slot riser with isa vlb?