VOGONS

First post, by spambacon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys. I recently got a Micro ATX AMD Board wih an Athlon 64 and i was going to build a LAN rig with the parts.

However, i'm disappointed with the selection of decent, small cases on eBay.

I have specific wishes for this hypothetic case: It must be a tower case, no cube Case and no desktop breadbox. It has to be smaller (read lower) than the typcal midi towers of the era. I want a case that is not much higher than the full height of the mATX Board and is placing the power supply "on top" of the CPU, kind of like they did with the Aptiva Cases from around the millenium. I would use an Aptiva but they are full ATX and are not much lower than the normal midi tower. Most mATX cases are placing the psu on top of the board. Also, it should be aera appropriate, bonus if beige and slightly

I would love an Asus Terminator, but there are none to get here in germany.

I am specifically looking for low cases, i dont care if they are slightly wider to make room for the psu.

Does anyone know such a case by name or model number?

I am buying in germany, but i am willing to shop elsewhere in the eu, if that helps.

I very much like the look of this case:

zg4h25kahl531.jpg
Filename
zg4h25kahl531.jpg
File size
734.36 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you married to beige? There's tons of black with varying degrees of silver Acer Aspire cases matching that description in circulation for sale in regular classifieds in this part of the world. Usually have an AMD X2 in them, but there's some socket 754.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 3, by spambacon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-11-30, 22:13:

Are you married to beige?

Not really, but as far i remember, most cases during this time were beige or grey. I don't recall seeing much black cases until the Core2/ Phenom Era (aside from case modding and exibitions).
Of course, i am just one guy, with limited memory of the past, but around 2000/ 2001 there was only a small selection of colored cases available to me. Also i want to avoid the really cheap looking OEM Stuff with shiny platics and fake metal trims, i just dont like that look.

But if you have a specific model in mind, regardless of colour, please go ahead, i am open to all suggestions, as i am unable to find even the mentioned oem cases.

Reply 3 of 3, by spambacon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, i basically searched for old OEM systems, but there was nothing to be found with that specific PSU placement. I have bought a very cheap shuttle xpg system with a sempron, which i can replace with my athlon 64. This is not ideal, as the shuttle systems are known to be very noisy, but as long as i'm not able to find a case, i would rather use the athlon than to stick it into the parts bin.