VOGONS

First post, by Skip94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all
Needing a Pentium 166MMX, I managed to find this motherboard complete with the CPU for basically the same price that CPUs only were selling for on ebay. Sold as non working, the keyboard port had been desoldered, but fitting one from a dead board and it was soon working fine.
However, I cannot pin down what board it actually is!
I'm convinced its a PC Chips board, as it has the same look and feel as the other 2 PC Chips S7 boards I have, as well as sharing the VIA 82885N clock chip with a battery soldered on top like my M549. However having searched through Ultimate Hardware, I haven't yet found a match. Also googling the POST string gives no real clue. It is "10/18/96-i430VX-10031996C-00".
The other confusion is the BIOS chip. It had an Award sticker on it, but peeling this off reveals a chip that I can find zero information on, a H.T. M10360A. I'm sure my M549 board also had a weird chip that I couldn't identify, but I cannot find that right now, I had to replace it as it died shortly after getting it.
I'd like to read this one out in my TL866 so that I can try the BIOS in my M549 board. When the BIOS chip in that died I had to replace it with the BIOS from an M520 and I have never been able to get floppy drives working on it.
Any help identifying the motherboard or the type of BIOS chip it uses would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It appears to be a PCChips M535. http://pcchips.narod.ru/supp5xx.html

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 6, by Skip94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Brilliant, thank you. I was slightly thrown as the diagram of the M535 I found didn't quite match, but a picture of the actual thing is spot on!
Now just to sort this pesky BIOS chip!
Cheers
Andrew

Reply 3 of 6, by Skip94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, just looking again, I spot a couple of differences? Mine only has two cache chips and then one of the chipset chips next to them, whereas the M535 has both chipset chips towards the middle of the board and 4 cache chips? Could this just be down to different revisions of the board?
Andrew

Reply 5 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's the result on Ultimate retro https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/5934 (uh19 on win3x.org will close soon, and it hasn't been updated since October, so don't use it 😉 )

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skip94 wrote on 2021-12-15, 05:43:

Sorry, me again. That site you linked is really helpful. I've had another look and I reckon its an M530.
Cheers
Andrew

I focused on the aluminum heatsinks too much, and missed the difference. With anyone else, that would have been a different revision, but with PCChips, it was a different model.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey