VOGONS

First post, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Have recently bought a via based socket 370 motherboard (M6VLR v 3.0) with onboard audio and video. I installed win 98 and then was able to successfully install the via chipset drivers as well as the vga drivers. Now the problem is with the onboard audio (VT1612A IC).

While trying to install the via audio drivers, none of them worked. Tried installing Avanace_45 win 95 driver, Avanace_510 win 98 driver, VT82C686X_4 (R1 WDM) driver, etc, but in vain. After installing the win 95 driver, was only getting a cracking sound. The speaker icon is present on the task bar and the device manager shows the installed drivers for Avanace, but audio is not working. Also tried installing the dos driver under pure dos mode, but no sound as well. I am assuming this to be an issue with the onboard audio itself (IC probably). But surprisingly the device manager does not show any errors/conflicts. It was able to install all the drivers including SB emulation successfully.

Any thoughts on the cause for the issue? Thanks!!

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 1 of 4, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try the VIA Vinyl v7.00b driver package? It is available from my website -> https://soggi.org/drivers/via.htm.

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 2 of 4, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. Tried that. Also tried different versions of the driver package, but none worked. I am assuming that it could be a hardware issue as I tried disabling and enabling the onboard from BIOS after which different drivers (Avance) were installed. However this time, there was an exclamation mark against the sound drivers in device manager.

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 3 of 4, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BTW I got confused because you were always mentioning "Avanace" instead of "Avance". xD

So you already tried these drivers (-> https://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=M6VLR) and the latest which are also on my website. Hm...

The board has the latest BIOS (VLR0527B / VLR0527F)!? Sometimes such things got fixed with BIOS updates back then.

If all of this doesn't help, there are maybe some capacitors which bit the dust!? I don't think it's the AC'97 codec (VIA VT1612A) or even the VT82C686B integrated VIA AC'97 audio controller.

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 4 of 4, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
soggi wrote on 2021-12-16, 04:22:
BTW I got confused because you were always mentioning "Avanace" instead of "Avance". xD […]
Show full quote

BTW I got confused because you were always mentioning "Avanace" instead of "Avance". xD

So you already tried these drivers (-> https://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=M6VLR) and the latest which are also on my website. Hm...

The board has the latest BIOS (VLR0527B / VLR0527F)!? Sometimes such things got fixed with BIOS updates back then.

If all of this doesn't help, there are maybe some capacitors which bit the dust!? I don't think it's the AC'97 codec (VIA VT1612A) or even the VT82C686B integrated VIA AC'97 audio controller.

kind regards
soggi

Yes it's Avance. My bad 😜 Sorry about that. I had a visual inspection at the caps and noticed they all looked fine. The seller also said that he replaced 2 caps which looked bulged before shipping. I did try installing all the drivers listed on the biostar page, but no luck. Was either getting only intermittent crackling sound (without any audio output) or none (not even crackling). I later spoke to the him and explained the issue. He was then ok with replacing the board. So have sent the board back.