VOGONS

First post, by watz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I managed to revive a scrapped and severly damaged ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA and it works great. However I'm getting the dreaded "MAC adress invalid in both CMOS and flash" Bios message. There used to be a MAC tool that people used on this exact board to set the MAC address and fix this error. However, all links to this tool that I can find are dead. The MAC tool that you can download from the ASRock website does not work on this board (just prints "unsupported").

Sure, I could probably disable the onboard LAN and live without it But I'd rather like this last issue to be fixed.

Does anyone of you have the matching tool for this board? Alternatively, a dump of the flash should also work for me.

Thanks!
Marco

Reply 1 of 3, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
watz wrote on 2021-12-23, 00:26:
Hi! […]
Show full quote

Hi!

I managed to revive a scrapped and severly damaged ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA and it works great. However I'm getting the dreaded "MAC adress invalid in both CMOS and flash" Bios message. There used to be a MAC tool that people used on this exact board to set the MAC address and fix this error. However, all links to this tool that I can find are dead. The MAC tool that you can download from the ASRock website does not work on this board (just prints "unsupported").

Sure, I could probably disable the onboard LAN and live without it But I'd rather like this last issue to be fixed.

Does anyone of you have the matching tool for this board? Alternatively, a dump of the flash should also work for me.

Thanks!
Marco

Is this the one

Filename
4Core_MACtool.ZIP
File size
262.63 KiB
Downloads
100 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 3, by watz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Worked perfectly, thanks a lot!!

Finally no more error message at boot. Even with the integrated NIC disabled it would pop up and needed F1 confirmation. And there wasn't any "halt on errors" option that I could find either.

The board came in a pile of scrap, had the expected couple dozens of bent CPU socket pins, two exploded MosFETs, broken NB die edges, ripped out caps and corrosion everywhere. I did not expect it to POST after repair, but it did. And most surprisingly, all RAM slots work, AGP and PCIe work. Its a survivor!

Reply 3 of 3, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
watz wrote on 2021-12-23, 11:32:

Worked perfectly, thanks a lot!!

Finally no more error message at boot. Even with the integrated NIC disabled it would pop up and needed F1 confirmation. And there wasn't any "halt on errors" option that I could find either.

The board came in a pile of scrap, had the expected couple dozens of bent CPU socket pins, two exploded MosFETs, broken NB die edges, ripped out caps and corrosion everywhere. I did not expect it to POST after repair, but it did. And most surprisingly, all RAM slots work, AGP and PCIe work. Its a survivor!

Give her a good home it sound like she has earned it too !