VOGONS

First post, by progr3sso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is an AMD Sempron 3100+ at 1,8GHz with 500MB RAM and a 160GB HD a good hardware choice for installing Windows 2000? Will it run well, or is it too modern for it?

Reply 1 of 4, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If this is the system you plan to build Windows 2000 on, you will be fine. 500MB of RAM is more than enough. Even a Pentium II Deschutes and later will be OK. You might have trouble with the 160GB drive unless you install Windows 2000 w/SP4 slipstreamed (it won't recognize the full 160GB if using the vanilla disc - 128GB maximum). You need SP4 for USB 2.0, also.

Is this a gaming system? Which Chipset? VIA? Nvidia? Other?

It appears adding this registry key will resolve HDD issue, also, but I'm not sure if this is pre-SP4 or not, and it won't help during the initial installation:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters\EnableBigLba

Last edited by Snover on 2024-02-15, 21:34. Edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restoring revision 136281

Reply 2 of 4, by progr3sso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-05, 13:30:
If this is the system you plan to build Windows 2000 on, you will be fine. 500MB of RAM is more than enough. Even a Pentium II […]
Show full quote

If this is the system you plan to build Windows 2000 on, you will be fine. 500MB of RAM is more than enough. Even a Pentium II Deschutes and later will be OK. You might have trouble with the 160GB drive unless you install Windows 2000 w/SP4 slipstreamed (it won't recognize the full 160GB if using the vanilla disc - 128GB maximum). You need SP4 for USB 2.0, also.

Is this a gaming system? Which Chipset? VIA? Nvidia? Other?

It appears adding this registry key will resolve HDD issue, also, but I'm not sure if this is pre-SP4 or not, and it won't help during the initial installation:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters\EnableBigLba

It's an Acer Aspire T135. I will be playing platformers, sports and educational games, but I'm looking for a system that will run digital encyclopedias, CD-Roms and DVD-Roms on anime, classical music, history, nature, the way of St. James and stuff like that, and software back then in general, rather than games other than those, so I'm not looking for a hardcore gaming system. Most of these were designed for W95 and W98, but I tried a W98 system and it was a disaster, it suffered from frequent BSODs until explorer.exe broke for no apparent reason. So I thought about trying out W2000 instead since I believe it's much more stable and mostly compatible with previous average and below-average software, right?

It's the first time I hear about slipstream, but basically I'd have to install a Windows 2000 version updated up to SP4, did I get that right?

Reply 3 of 4, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last edited by Meatball on 2023-05-11, 20:04. Edited 3 times in total.