VOGONS

First post, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

First of all, Happy New Year !!! (It's already the 1st here in NZ, we live in the future over here!)

My latest video is up on my HP 100LX / 200LX MS-DOS focused "HP Palmtop Tube" YouTube channel:
https://youtu.be/o65XAHaf2OY

In this second part I add a SCSI CD-ROM, a Flatbed Scanner and 2 more Hard Drives to my SCSI bus connected to the HP 200LX Palmtop,
so I have every SCSI ID on the bus in use.
I also run some IO benchmarks and provide a chart with the results.

It's the 2nd video, if you haven't seen the first one yet, it's best to watch that one first:
https://youtu.be/BaFWoF5bMcY

I'm quite new at making YouTube videos, and I've a tendency to get nervous and make quite a few mistakes in English,
as Dutch is my mother tongue, so I can really use your feedback.
Please let me know what you like and dislike about it in the comments section of the video, or here in this topic...

Thanks 😀
Radiance

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 1 of 5, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

Here are the results of the speed benchmarks I ran in the video,
for those who want to just see the results.
I copied a 1.531 MB file from the relevant device to the RAM drive,
and timed the result.

Here we go:

*** Baseline:

RAMdrive to RAMdrive: 4.06 secs - 377KB/sec
CompactFlash to RAMdrive: 7.21 secs - 213KB/sec

*** SCSI Peripherals:

CD-ROM to RAMdrive: 11.65 secs - 132KB/sec
ZIP drive to RAM drive: 11.92 secs - 129KB/sec
SCSI2SD HD2 to RAM drive: 10.77 secs - 143KB/sec

So the whole PCMCIA -> Parallel Port -> SCSI overhead makes the transfer speed approximately between 67% and 68% the speed of a CompactFlash card inserted directly into the PCMCIA slot with an adapter...

Cheers,
Radiance

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 2 of 5, by 2disbetter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Radiance, first off thank you for your videos and the effort you are putting into them. It is GREATLY appreciated. The LX is such a unique piece of brilliant hardware that is seriously under represented in video form.

SCSI is a great vintage technology that is proving to be still useful today!

Your English is fine! I honestly thought it was just the New Zealand dialect. I didn't hear any of the typical Dutch speaking English accents. But Dank U Wel! all the same!

I speak German, but English is my mother tongue.

Once again great work, and please keep it up!

Reply 3 of 5, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
2disbetter wrote on 2022-01-04, 10:58:
Radiance, first off thank you for your videos and the effort you are putting into them. It is GREATLY appreciated. The LX is suc […]
Show full quote

Radiance, first off thank you for your videos and the effort you are putting into them. It is GREATLY appreciated. The LX is such a unique piece of brilliant hardware that is seriously under represented in video form.

SCSI is a great vintage technology that is proving to be still useful today!

Your English is fine! I honestly thought it was just the New Zealand dialect. I didn't hear any of the typical Dutch speaking English accents. But Dank U Wel! all the same!

I speak German, but English is my mother tongue.

Once again great work, and please keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback...
I'm a pretty nervous/shy person irl, and my first narrated videos were quite poor,
i sounded way too nervous and made many mistakes, and had a rather dry/monotonous delivery,
but according to some friends who've watched all my videos,
it appears i'm learning and getting better and am less nervous and more optimistic sounding now,
and I hope it will be even better in future videos...

Terrence

Reply 4 of 5, by 2disbetter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
radiance32 wrote on 2022-01-04, 21:12:
Thanks for the feedback... I'm a pretty nervous/shy person irl, and my first narrated videos were quite poor, i sounded way too […]
Show full quote

I'm a pretty nervous/shy person irl, and my first narrated videos were quite poor,
i sounded way too nervous and made many mistakes, and had a rather dry/monotonous delivery,
it appears i'm learning and getting better and am less nervous and more optimistic sounding now,

Terrence

Well as I mentioned, these videos are an important and needed part of the LX's coverage on the internet today.

I honestly didn't think you sounded nervous. I thought it was just an accent thing.

I'm running through all your videos now as I have the time. Do you have any future video plans?

Reply 5 of 5, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
2disbetter wrote on 2022-01-05, 08:04:
Well as I mentioned, these videos are an important and needed part of the LX's coverage on the internet today. […]
Show full quote
radiance32 wrote on 2022-01-04, 21:12:
Thanks for the feedback... I'm a pretty nervous/shy person irl, and my first narrated videos were quite poor, i sounded way too […]
Show full quote

Terrence

Well as I mentioned, these videos are an important and needed part of the LX's coverage on the internet today.

I honestly didn't think you sounded nervous. I thought it was just an accent thing.

I'm running through all your videos now as I have the time. Do you have any future video plans?

Thanks 😀

I've got a list with about a dozen interesting / technical projects to make videos for,
but, if there are any ideas you have, please post them here and i'll add them to my list (if they are feasible)

Cheers,
Radiance