VOGONS

First post, by cjzayw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am trying to fix an old THINKPAD A31, but it is without battery,
but luckily I can still turn it on only with its power supply;

I would like to buy a battery, anyone knows which compatibles can be found around nowadays ?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Such battery would be a 10.8V 4000mAh common to many models of A30/A31 series. They are not produced anymore, but clone exists. Maybe some of them are of high quality, I don't know.
But is it interesting to have a battery on a laptop based on P4-M?... Maybe used like a UPS or at least to have no big hole in the enclosure (for that a dead battery would do the job). It's irony.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 2 of 4, by cjzayw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Datadrainer wrote on 2022-01-16, 19:47:

Such battery would be a 10.8V 4000mAh common to many models of A30/A31 series. They are not produced anymore, but clone exists. Maybe some of them are of high quality, I don't know.

I am looking for a battery, not necessarily original but also compatible, that is suitable for this laptop; I don't have to go around it, also because this laptop weighs a lot, but in the event of an intermittent lack of electricity in the house it would at least avoid switching off.

If anyone could tell me a compatible clone ( trademark, model, code, etc.. ) I am grateful.

Thanks

Reply 3 of 4, by mustagcoupe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your best bet may be to crack open the battery shell and replace the cells. They are usually standard 18650 lithium cells. I do not trust those chinese knockoff batteries. I do not trust the original 20 year old ones either. Ive broken open numerous battery packs in laptops of that era and more than half of them the outer metal shell of the battery cells had started to corrode through. Lithium batteries can catch fire or explode when mistreated or when using low quality parts. You could also buy a cheap ups battery backup system and keep the laptop plugged into that. Treat it like a semi portable desktop. If you just want the battery pack in the laptop so it looks normal i crack open the battery pack. Remove all the cells and electronics and put the empty plastic battery shell back in the laptop. That way it looks right but there's no risk of battery fire or leak.

Reply 4 of 4, by Achernar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Opening the battery shell to replace cells is a common and decent solution to this problem. However, I don't think that all compatible batteries are bad. For example, I bought one as an experiment for a Compaq Presario 900 series almost two years ago and it still seems fine, or at least for me. It is "Green Cell" brand.
Unfortunately I haven't found anything available on their website for the Thinkpad A31.