VOGONS

First post, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can anybody think of a reason this CPU [1133MHz SL5GQ] won't boot into the OS? Other Tualatins with the same CPUID and stepping run on this board, even the server version (SL5LV) works without issue, so I'm at a loss to grasp why the desktop model POSTs but hangs on the handover to XP.

Reply 1 of 5, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

what board is it. is the bios updated. have u tired the cpu in another board maybe its just a defective chip.

Reply 2 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe the core voltage is off just enough, the other example you give is 1.45V whereas the one with a problem is 1.475V .. some boards might not interpret that correctly, or if you've got it strapped to 1.4 on a slotket for the others, and it works fine, maybe this one needs 1.5.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 5, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-18, 19:08:

Maybe the core voltage is off just enough, the other example you give is 1.45V whereas the one with a problem is 1.475V ..

You could be on to something there. All of the other Tualatins and Tualerons that do boot to OS are either 1.45v or 1.5v. This happens on two different s370 boards, btw, which I would guess makes the theory less likely, though.

I'll crack open my GX150 and give the thing a try there.

Reply 4 of 5, by StevOnehundred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
StevOnehundred wrote on 2022-01-18, 21:12:

I'll crack open my GX150 and give the thing a try there.

Doesn't even POST in the GX150 (yes it's the Tualatin version, mobo 2H240 - usual weapon of choice in the machine is the PIII 1400S, SL6BY, working perfectly).

[Sigh]

Reply 5 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I'd give it an alcohol scrub in case any pins have developed a coating or got slimed somehow, retry.. and personally if it wasn't better after that, I'd VID mod it to 1.5 ish and try that, if it went more flaky then, it was failing anyway, less flaky = win.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.