VOGONS

First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hello all

i was wondering if anyone can or knows who can fix mobos as i would like to get the original mobo in 486 build working again but i have no idea what to do and/or check and able to add a coin cell battery (cr2032) holder etc

i have de-soldered the barrel battery and it wont boot or post

if anyone can point me in right direction or point me to someone who know what there doing would greatly appreciated and no rush 😀

thank you for any help 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently rescued a 486 mobo that had some bad Varta leakage. Luckily the corrosive goop hadn't destroyed any important traces, because the battery was mounted in an area of the board that didn't really have anything nearby. It's important to neutralize the gunk (I used vinegar) and then rinse the area thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol. That will stop any further damage, but depending on how bad the leakage was, some of the PCB traces might've been destroyed.

But that might not be your issue. Check for any blown tantalum capacitors (they're the bright orange/yellow components) -- I had one of them go pop in that 486 board. When they do go, they'll often short out one of the power rails, at which point the PSU will usually shut down. Check the resistance at the motherboard power connectors. If any of the voltage rails (+5V, -5V, +12V, -12V) have an usually low resistance -- say, 100 ohms or less -- then you've got a short somewhere on the board, and 9 times out of 10 that will be due to a tantalum.

Reply 2 of 3, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kdr wrote on 2020-10-12, 01:11:

I recently rescued a 486 mobo that had some bad Varta leakage. Luckily the corrosive goop hadn't destroyed any important traces, because the battery was mounted in an area of the board that didn't really have anything nearby. It's important to neutralize the gunk (I used vinegar) and then rinse the area thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol. That will stop any further damage, but depending on how bad the leakage was, some of the PCB traces might've been destroyed.

But that might not be your issue. Check for any blown tantalum capacitors (they're the bright orange/yellow components) -- I had one of them go pop in that 486 board. When they do go, they'll often short out one of the power rails, at which point the PSU will usually shut down. Check the resistance at the motherboard power connectors. If any of the voltage rails (+5V, -5V, +12V, -12V) have an usually low resistance -- say, 100 ohms or less -- then you've got a short somewhere on the board, and 9 times out of 10 that will be due to a tantalum.

that would be new to me and i don't own a multi meter and would have no idea what is correct or not without some help and guidance

if you know anyone in uk or i can post it to someone other than uk that has experience and know a lot more or better than me 😁

Reply 3 of 3, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've bought a 386 motherboard (with soldered Am386Dx-40) as 'non-working' just for the cache ICs and FPU on it. It had a leaked battery (that I removed for sure) but the harm it caused was insignificant - just a sport or two without corrosion, just removable surface leakage. So I gave it a try.

It starts booting and detects all the equipment but halts once I enter the BIOS and try do something there (sometimes immediately, somtimes allowing me to move step down in the menu). Also it doesn't finish booting halting after it draws the standard 'configuration frame' and starting to write disk related message: I see either D or DI(SK something).

Can it be damaged BIOS for example? Should I try replacing the BIOS IC with the new one (seems like I found the BIOS file I need).

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300