VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had my HP Pavilion stored in my Garage for a year and now it does not want to post.
I get no video either.

Only 4 beeps.

What can be wrong ?

Model # 7850
Pentium 3 @ 933mhz.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.
Please, check the electrolytic capacitors to see if some are bulged or are leaking. Maybe some connectors can be corroded, so unplug and plug back everything. Try to replace the CR 2032 battery too.
To ease the maintenance you can remove the whole transparent grey part, it slides out with all drives attached, so remove the power and data cables from the drives before (there is a lock inside on the top to free it).
And if nothing worked, can you, please take a photo of the motherboard? That can be a problem with the PSU too if some caps are bad or some components or traces being corroded. If if has a Delta PSU it can be tricky to repair, but its doable.

Last edited by Datadrainer on 2022-01-26, 11:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 2 of 4, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

- FIXED -
I replaced the coin battery and re-seat the memory modules and that fixed the problem.
I think it was a memory problem all along but it needed a fresh battery anyways as I think it was using the original battery from
Year 2000.

Works fine now.

Thanks guys.

Reply 3 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad you got it working !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun