VOGONS

First post, by bassix6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Recently I started working on a retro Pentium 3 build. At the moment I'm looking for a good motherboard that supports a P3 coppermine, has an AGP slot, an ISA Slot and several PCI's. In my country I found an online shop that sells retro computing parts. He said he had a recapped SOLTEK SL-65FVB motherboard including a PSU, P3 866 mhz including a cooler and RAM for sale for a price of 200 euro's.

I noticed it's quite hard to find a motherboard with these specifics, so I'm wondering if this actually a good deal or not.

Cheers

image014.jpg

image015.jpg

Reply 1 of 3, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess I can understand why a shop would ask that price if they invested the time and money to recap the board but I don't think it is worth it.
classiccomputershop.eu is run by member SpectriaForce btw.

Reply 2 of 3, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is bog standard VIA chipset board, not worth anywhere 200 euros.
I would buy SL-67B anytime over VIA equipped but since Sl-67B is just a standard (though quite good) 440BX board and quite rare at that, just look for something cheaper (and better at that).
Good BX boards qork nicely at 133 MHz FSB (albeit with overclocked AGP slot but that is not a problem for most cards) and have much better performance and stability.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 3 of 3, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Considering most of these boards are going to need a recap soon anyway I think $200 is fair for the combo. When I was looking at having badcaps recap my P4 board they quoted me at $140 for the shipping, parts and labor.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1