VOGONS

First post, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker and first time posting. About a year or so ago I built a new “retro” pc, although probably not that retro by a lot of people’s standards it’s around the time I was 6 years old that this thing would have been relevant. I can’t remember the motherboard but it had a P3 866 MHz, 768MB of ram and a GeForce 6200 AGP. Flight simulator 2000, Half-Life, Halo CE, and Morrowind are slide shows on it. I upgraded the cpu to a P3 1GHz but it made pretty much no difference. Running windows ME as well since it’s the only one I was able to get all drivers working with after a lot of fiddling. And it works with flash drives which helps a ton. I ordered an ATi 9600XT with 128MB and hoping this cures the issues it’s having. I think it’s GPU bottlenecked but maybe I just have unrealistic expectations of playable experiences in these games with this system. I thought I remember 1GHz been insanely fast for 2000 and the same goes for 768MB Ram, but maybe I’m wrong. Thanks for any input!

EDIT: wanted to add that 3DMark 2000 runs amazing on it. It scored 6324. Not sure if that’s a great number but it gets over 100 fps in some tests and over 200 in others.

Reply 1 of 11, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes you were GPU limited. It seems like nVidia made various versions of the GeForce 6200 AGP but all of them were pretty slow. A Radeon 9600XT should be a better match for the system.

Another thing I might point out is that some of the games you listed are newer than your system, and would run better on a newer computer running Windows XP (they might even run well on a modern computer).

Reply 2 of 11, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pentium 3 is good for DOS games and early Windows games up to about 2000. Athlon 64 is good enough up to about 2004.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3 of 11, by ciornyi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hey mate,

Halo CE and Morrowind is quite demanding games for your build i remember it was not that good on Athlon 1.4GHz with Geforce 3 and 9600PRO after . Was 15-40 fps @1024x768 at high settings.

DOS: 166mmx/16mb/Y719/S3virge
DOS/95: PII333/128mb/AWE64/TNT2M64
Win98: P3_900/256mb/SB live/3dfx V3
Win Me: Athlon 1700+/512mb/Audigy2/Geforce 3Ti200
Win XP: E8600/4096mb/SB X-fi/HD6850

Reply 4 of 11, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Half- Life should do well, I never played Halo CE, but Morrowind needs a fast GPU. I don't know if a 9600 XT will be enough to max it out and have a consistently high frame rate.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 11, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got it in and installed the new drivers and it still runs Halo pretty bad honestly. Scored 700 points higher in 3DMark 2000 though. I still have to try the other games but based on a slight score increase and no visible difference in Halo, I imagine it is still going to be bad 😁. I play those games on my modern gaming PC just fun to play with old stuff (isn't that why we are all here?). Gotta find my copies of NFS 3 Hot Pursuit and NFS High Stakes again. Those also ran poorly when I first built this PC, might be better now.

Reply 6 of 11, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Halo is just too new a game for your retro system. I guess can just play it on your modern PC as you said.

NFS 3 and 4 should run really well on a Radeon 9600. You could probably play at 1600x1200 (or whatever 4:3-ish resolution your monitor supports) with the details maxed out. I believe NFS 3 and 4 don't run properly on Windows XP (or newer) out of the box. I have gotten NFS 4 (High Stakes aka Road Challenge) to run in Windows XP with a patch. So these are great games to play on a Windows 98 retro PC.

Reply 7 of 11, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bZbZbZ wrote on 2022-02-09, 21:52:

Halo is just too new a game for your retro system. I guess can just play it on your modern PC as you said.

NFS 3 and 4 should run really well on a Radeon 9600. You could probably play at 1600x1200 (or whatever 4:3-ish resolution your monitor supports) with the details maxed out. I believe NFS 3 and 4 don't run properly on Windows XP (or newer) out of the box. I have gotten NFS 4 (High Stakes aka Road Challenge) to run in Windows XP with a patch. So these are great games to play on a Windows 98 retro PC.

Yeah I found them, but they don’t recognize the gpu of course. Says I need to install DirectX 5 Drivers when launching NFS3 and says DirectX 6 drivers with high stakes. Both work with the 6200. Probably need to patch them or change the d3da.dll. I have not played these since the early 2000s regularly because I never got them to run on XP and up correctly.

Reply 8 of 11, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use this patch for Need For Speed High Stakes: https://www.hsscoring.com/HSGuide/
There is a "Stock Pack" which (among other things) adds support for Windows XP and newer graphics cards. There is also an "Expansion Pack" that adds more cars/tracks, etc. There is a note that IP Lounge multiplayer doesn't work in Win 9x (XP or above only) but for single player Win98 should be fine.

I was able to play NFS4 with an Athlon 64 + Radeon 9800 Pro in Windows ME, at 1600x1200 with 4xAA. I didn't bother trying NFS3 on that machine because NFS4 with the "Expansion Pack" contained most of the NFS3 content anyway.

Reply 9 of 11, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bZbZbZ wrote on 2022-02-10, 21:53:

I use this patch for Need For Speed High Stakes: https://www.hsscoring.com/HSGuide/
There is a "Stock Pack" which (among other things) adds support for Windows XP and newer graphics cards. There is also an "Expansion Pack" that adds more cars/tracks, etc. There is a note that IP Lounge multiplayer doesn't work in Win 9x (XP or above only) but for single player Win98 should be fine.

I was able to play NFS4 with an Athlon 64 + Radeon 9800 Pro in Windows ME, at 1600x1200 with 4xAA. I didn't bother trying NFS3 on that machine because NFS4 with the "Expansion Pack" contained most of the NFS3 content anyway.

Awesome thanks for the link! I found some other patches yesterday, like one where someone made it work with different GPUs. I think this is the patch I was looking for! I might just have to do a clean install of WinME at this point. After installing Office XP on it to remember what it looked like, it has started to lock up and BSOD like 3 times an hour. Also, I think my CD Drive is dying all of a sudden. Suddenly half-life said please insert CD and it dropped out of explorer. Idk, this thing is starting to get more and more expensive 🙁.

Reply 10 of 11, by m3stang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Coming back to this PC now. Just ordered some Star Tech IDE/SATA converters so I could switch to SSD (bought a 120GB one in case there were size issues) and use a SATA DVD drive I have that is new. With my old drive dying I did not want another old ebay IDE drive. Excited to see how it works!

Reply 11 of 11, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't see much point in playing game like Need for Speed 3 at 1600x1200 as the game simply doesn't have sufficiently detailed textures. It came out when 16MB graphics cards were the norm. I play it at 800x600. Higher resolutions only start making sense for games from 2001 and beyond.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS