VOGONS

Retro gaming on LCD

Topic actions

First post, by marcin512

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
It's my first post here. I'd like to share some info about project I built few day ago. It's basically an attempt how to circumvent the inherent flaw of all LCD screens - single native resolution (bad for DOS / Win9x gaming). There are two things to take care of:
- dedicated hardware
- dedicated software

Hardware:
- Any LCD screen. I use HP LP2475w (1920x1200) - IPS
- TvONE 1T-C2-750
- ATEN CS1644a dual DVI (4 sources)

Software:
- Custom 1T-C2-750 software for controlling the device using RS232 port (so called controller).

Setup - 4 PCs:
- PC1: PII 133 - GeForce 256. Using analog output (DOS).
- PC2: PIII 1000. GeForce 3 Ti 500. Using both analog and digital (WIN9x).
- PC3: AXP 3000+. Radeon X850 XT. Using both analog (for bios only) and digital (for Windows) (WINXP).
- PC4: Q6600 (WIP - W7).

How is it connected:
Each analog pc output goes into ATEN input port 1.
Each digital pc output goes into ATEN input port 2.
ATEN analog output goes into 1T-C2-750 input port 1.
ATEN digital output goes into 1T-C2-750 input port 2.
1T-C2-750 output port goes into LP2475w.

The idea:
The controller runs on separate machine (server for example) and listens for state changes on either input port of 1T-C2-750. The software can see which port is active and adjusts output parameters of input signal (scaling, position). The scaling is done using integer arithmetics: 1x, 2x, ... 6x.

For example if controller sees active signal on port 2 (digital) it checks what's the resolution and performs scaling as follows:
320x200 -> (x6, x6) ->1920x1200. Ratio is configurable - it can be (x4, x6) or anything else.
640x480 -> (x2, x2) -> 1280x960 (black bars everywhere)
800x600 -> (x2, x2) -> 1600x1200 (black bars on sides)
1024x760 -> (x1, x1) -> 1024x768 (bars everywhere)
1280x1024 -> (x1, x1) -> 1280x1024 (bars everywhere)
1600x1200 -> (x1, x1) -> 1600x1200 (bars on sides)

There's no billinear scaling anywhere. The picture is very crisp and sharp at any resolution. The bigger the screen the lesser the issue with bars.
Everything is done automatically (ATEN port switching + 1T-C2-750). Just start your pc and have fun 😀

The scaler:
IMG-4606.jpg
The KVM:
IMG-4615.jpg
Kyrandia:
IMG-4614.jpg
Carmageddon (640x480) - it has never looked so good:
IMG-4607.jpg
IMG-4609.jpg
GTA2 (800x600):
IMG-4613.jpg
Settlers IV (1280x1024):
IMG-4612.jpg
Quake 3 Arena (1600x1200):
IMG-4611.jpg

Pics don't do the justice. The IQ is excellent on those titles. All the memories came back 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks ! Interesting idea as a work around for newer monitors..

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi marcin512,
Welcome on Vogons.org.
Your solution is quite nice despite requiring a lot a wires (audio and video switchers included) :p
As the main problem with most old video games is they are using graphic modes that cannot match the 4:3 screen ratio without stretching on LCD panels. The best solution to go is to have a 1600x1200 LCD monitor as it allows perfect pixel ratio correction for 320x200, 640x200, 640x400, etc resolutions using the correct multipliers for height/width and the suitable hardware or software. And it also allows to fill most of the screen for common square pixel resolutions too. Having black bars bothers a lot of people, but personally I don't think it is a problem, especially when the picture covers most of the screen area. It's just a habit to get into. Not having the full screen filled with the picture was common on CRT back in the day. I remember playing DOS games on a IBM PS/1 2011 with a 12" monitor and having black bars all around 🤣.

The TvONE 1T-C2-750 is a nice piece of hardware and seems to be a very good choice.

If you don't mind, I would like to have your feedback on the ATEN CS1644a:
* I know some ATEN KVM can behave weird on certain cases. Do you have issue with certain games?
* I see you are using switches for stereo audio lines. Why not using the audio I/O of the KVM?
Thank you.

Anyway, nice setup! Good job 😀

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 3 of 4, by marcin512

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1600x1200 LCD is a great choice for retro gaming. The problem is that I don't have space for any extra LCD on my desk + I use these monitors for daily use - home office, etc.

As for your questions regarding ATEN:
- I haven't encountered any weird behavior with any games / software. Maybe it's related to particular mouse / keyboard combination.
- Noises. The more devices you connected the more noise you got. I went the other way - manual switching + full ground separation (soldered different pot). 1h of work and everything is silent as it should be 😀

ATEN could have done better with this. Maybe it's a problem with old hardware. My notebook from 2019 seems to give no noise when connected to ATEN.

Reply 4 of 4, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your feedback @marcin512 😀
The possible video issues I was thinking of were also latency and no video output for some combination of resolutions/refresh rates.
Indeed background noise is often a problem with audio, but also video signals. What doesn't help is that a computer is a big noise generator. But generally noise is coming from power supplies, it can also come from how the PCBs are made: no dedicated ground plane, no or wrongly done filtering caps, etc. Considering ATEN is making hardware for businesses I think audio quality is not their main concern. Good to know anyway.
For my part, I do audio the hard way too for my consoles and computers. With signal pre-filtering and isolation then conversion to balanced to go to a professional audio rack. A way to continue to use my beloved old audio processing equipment I don't want to sell.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.