VOGONS

First post, by Aus2006

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I recently purchased an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard off of eBay for an XP build I plan to do soon, it looked good in the photos but when it arrived the package was dropped and it caused an oscillator to break off. I need some assistance finding a new component with the model number: 25.0F5H. It's located on the southbridge chip that controls the SLI function of the motherboard, I need that to work for this build. I think it might be 25MHz, looking up the model number returned little to no results. Please help me make some sense of the number so I can purchase a replacement.

Attachments

• Inkedboard_LI.jpg
    Filename
    Inkedboard_LI.jpg
    File size
    238.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thing has approximately 0 chance of falling off due to fall damage. Radiator pipe would fall first.
Was it loose in the box? you might of gotten scammed.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 10, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-03-15, 06:31:

This thing has approximately 0 chance of falling off due to fall damage. Radiator pipe would fall first.

Well its possible the solder holding it to the board was dry and cracked .. its a very teensy tiny chance but still, IIm gonna go with your assumption that it wasn't due to falling damage.

Also .. what would be the best 939 board to grab, I have the A8N32-SLI Deluxe but .. well the nForce chipset has its...problems .. is there a Uli or Via alternative that is better ?

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-03-15, 08:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-15, 08:09:

Well its possible the solder holding it to the board was dry and cracked .. its a very teensy tiny chance but still, IIm gonna go with your assumption that it wasn't due to falling damage.

From the picture it looks a lot like a through hole part. I think the chance of solder failing so spectacularly on two connections that this crystal would fall out are smaller than teensy tiny.😉

Reply 4 of 10, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-03-15, 08:16:

From the picture it looks a lot like a through hole part. I think the chance of solder failing so spectacularly on two connections that this crystal would fall out are smaller than teensy tiny.😉

Ahhh but the rub is that its not 0%

😜

Reply 5 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-15, 08:26:

😜

I like your Gimli approach of interpreting chances! 😉😄

Reply 6 of 10, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-03-15, 08:39:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-15, 08:26:

😜

I like your Gimli approach of interpreting chances! 😉😄

Aye !

*Goes back to sharpening Axe

Reply 7 of 10, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

agreed with others theses boards are very unreliable i had ordered 2 of them off ebay before giving up. the first one the guy just tossed it in a box with no padding so the top left corner of the board got broken off surprising it still would power on but at power on it would complain that usb was over volted or something and would keep resetting it self. the second one showed up in perfect condition but with a video card in the top pci-e slot it would just beep no gpu but if u put the gpu in the bottom pci-e 16x slot it would post u could get in the bios sometimes but it would always hard lock after a bit. didn't matter if u put in an ati or nvidia gpu.

Reply 8 of 10, by Aus2006

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I opened the box that’s what had happened the cooler on the southbridge had its plastic pegs break off and when it did that is shot over knocking it off. This is how it looked in the box when I opened it
I got a refund after I messaged the seller.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Aus2006 wrote on 2022-03-15, 20:50:

When I opened the box that’s what had happened

yes, so not exactly "package was dropped and it caused an oscillator to break off", but 'radiator break off and knock stuff off the board'. This makes more sense 😀
25MHz crystal costs $0.2 and is available at all parts distributors. You will have more trouble reconciling the cost of shipping 😀 and soldering thru hole on thick multilayer huge ground plane board.
What you might want to do is take off heat pipe radiator off and carefully look over the board for more signs of damage. nForce4 is a bare die beneath the radiator - is it still intact with no chipped edges?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 10, by Aus2006

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-03-16, 10:18:
yes, so not exactly "package was dropped and it caused an oscillator to break off", but 'radiator break off and knock stuff off […]
Show full quote
Aus2006 wrote on 2022-03-15, 20:50:

When I opened the box that’s what had happened

yes, so not exactly "package was dropped and it caused an oscillator to break off", but 'radiator break off and knock stuff off the board'. This makes more sense 😀
25MHz crystal costs $0.2 and is available at all parts distributors. You will have more trouble reconciling the cost of shipping 😀 and soldering thru hole on thick multilayer huge ground plane board.
What you might want to do is take off heat pipe radiator off and carefully look over the board for more signs of damage. nForce4 is a bare die beneath the radiator - is it still intact with no chipped edges?

I checked everything looks ok, I have already replaced the crystal and the board works!